Hanna works to leave a legacy in throwing

Monday night, senior Sam Hanna threw himself a new personal record in discus, placing himself as the second best in class 4A this season. Hanna threw a whopping 174-01, only behind Logan Jones who threw a 175-02.50.

Hanna has not always been a thrower for Pleasant Valley, he started his high school track career out as a sprinter for the team. After developing shin splints about a month into his sophomore year, Hanna decided to give throwing a try rather than sitting out.

“They asked if I wanted to see if I could be a good thrower,” Hanna commented. “I did the first practice and the team was full of really amazing people, so I just stuck with it.”

Staying motivated has been no problem for the senior. “I’m just trying to achieve my goals of breaking school records and get my team points at the state meet.”

Hanna is close to breaking both school throwing records, being two feet off both shot put and discus. He is looked up to as a team leader by not only the throwers, but the whole track team. “Sam Hanna is a hard-working individual that strives to get better at every practice and every meet,” senior teammate Zach James adds.

Coaches look for leaders every year on team, whether that be a vocal leader or someone that leads by example. Throw coach, Nick Sacco, believes Hanna is someone that leads by his examples. “Sam has done a great job raising the bar and leading the team by his example.  He gives great attention to detail in his technique,” Sacco stated. “Sam’s most significant contribution is the model of growth that he has shown during his career as a thrower at Pleasant Valley.  When underclassmen look at Sam’s accomplishments they can visualize their own attainable long term goals.”

As with lots of athletes, Hanna has a routine he follows before every meet, including a superstition that started during his football season. “The routine is mostly normal with stretching and warm up throws. One superstition I have is I have to listen to “Holy Grail” before I throw,” Hanna said.

Throwing is a sport that requires strength and technique, two things Hanna has been working on during his high school career. “He continues to push himself every day in the weight room to get stronger, and every day at practice to perfect his technique,” Sacco commented. “It is very impressive that he has grown so quickly.  Sam has accomplished in three years what has taken some throwers 6 years to achieve.

Hanna will continue working on his strength in the weight room and his technique while throwing to be performing his best in the latter half of the season.