Top things to experience in the Quad Cities this summer

Bess Hamiti via Pixabay
Bess Hamiti via Pixabay

As the school year comes to a close and college quickly approaches, everyone wants to make the most of their summer. Although it may seem as if there is never anything to do in the Quad Cities, there are hidden gems all over that should not be missed this summer and especially for seniors before they go off to college.

1. Attend a show at the Adler

The Adler Theater is a beautiful historical landmark in the Quad Cities that hosts celebrity headliners, Broadway shows, comedians and more. This summer, the Adler is hosting nine-time Tony Award winner “The Book of Mormon” from June 5th until the 10th. This show has been called “The best musical of this century” by the New York Times and “Genius. Brilliant. Phenomenal” by Jimmy Fallon of The Tonight Show. After “The Book of Mormon” leaves the theater, the Celtic Woman will be stopping on June 12th as a part of their Homecoming Tour. Celtic Woman is a group of four women that celebrates Ireland’s cultural and musical heritage with their songs, Irish dancers, bagpipes and full band which plays Celtic instruments. At the end of summer, famous YouTube star Miranda Sings will be performing on August 4. Actress, comedian, writer and producer Colleen Ballinger plays Miranda Sings and has over 20 million followers on social media and has received over 2 billion views on YouTube. The Adler is hosting a diverse group of performers this summer and certainly has something for everyone.

1. Get a sweet treat at Lagomarcino’s

Lagomarcino’s Confectionary is the perfect spot to enjoy the finest homemade chocolates, ice cream sundaes, or delicious deli sandwiches. With two locations decorated for the holiday season in downtown Moline and The East Village of Davenport, Lagomarcino’s is family-owned and has made the Quad Cities happy for over 100 years. Said to be the “Best Homemade Candy in the State” by Illinois Magazine and praised by Paula Deen, Lago’s is a great local business to support this summer while beating the heat.

1. ]Attend a River Bandits game

Modern Woodmen Park is home to the minor league baseball team, The River Bandits, who have multiple home games each week during the summer. Whether it’s Fireworks on Fridays or a bobblehead giveaway on Saturdays, there is always an additional event happening before or after the games as well. Senior Jacob Fuhrmeister commented on The River Bandits saying, “It’s the closest thing you have to getting to a professional game.” Enjoy a night complete with baseball, ballpark food and carnival rides such as the iconic ferris wheel which offers views of the Mississippi River, Modern Woodmen Park and downtown Davenport and Rock Island. On top of this, for every ride on the amusements at Modern Woodmen Park, the River Bandits and Main Street Amusements donate 50 cents to Genesis Health Services Foundation health initiatives for children. Pro tip: wait until it gets dark to ride the ferris wheel- it lights up at night! Modern Woodmen is a staple for the summer whether one is a baseball lover or not.

1. Visit the farmers’ market

Outdoor season begins at Freight House Farmers’ Market in Davenport and is open on Wednesdays and on weekends. Vendors from all over come to Davenport to show off their items whether it’s fresh fruits and vegetables, handcrafted bakery items, home and garden decor, or delicious prepared-on-site dishes. On top of all of this, the market is completely pet friendly and a great place to enjoy the weather and a delicious meal without leaving pets at home. The farmers’ market is a relaxing and fun way to spend a morning.

1. Enjoy the beauty of the botanical center

The Quad City Botanical Center is located in Rock Island and includes both indoor and outdoor gardens. The indoor Tropical Sun Garden blooms with hundreds of exotic tropical flowers and houses both a 14-foot waterfall and reflecting pools. There are also several outdoor gardens, seasonal exhibits, and a greenhouse. Whether one wants to explore or take a guided tour, the botanical center should be on the bucket list this summer.