The Iowa rivalry

Leonardo Marchini via Pixabay
Kinnick Stadium before a football game.

One of the biggest rivalries in the state of Iowa is between two well known universities, Iowa and Iowa State. Many seniors at Pleasant Valley are deciding which university to go to that will benefit them the most for their desired major. A former PV student, Laura Brown, who is now a freshman at Iowa State said, “I chose Iowa State because it’s close to home, perfect for engineering, and has a beautiful campus.”

Whether a student chooses to go to Iowa or Iowa State, they will always think their school is better than the latter. Another former PV student, Charlie Carlson, who is now a senior at the University of Iowa stated, “There is no comparison between Iowa and Iowa State, University of Iowa is the better school by far.” With each student at these rival universities having the same mindset, it calls for some healthy competition.

Recently was the annual Iowa vs Iowa State college football game which, according to Carlson, is “the best game of the year.” Almost the entire student body from each school shows up to come cheer on their schools representative team. Brown stated, “My friends and I couldn’t even make it in the student section because there was too many people.” This football game shows people all around the world what school spirit really is.

Not only does this game show how fun it is to be in college, it also makes high school students want to apply to Iowa or Iowa state. Abbey Hancock, a senior at Pleasant Valley, said, “One of the main reasons I chose Iowa was because of watching the fun rivalry between Iowa and Iowa State and knowing I can be apart of it”.

This year the game was held in Iowa City but every other year it is held in Ames. Many Iowa state fans took the drive to Iowa City this past weekend because not only do they want to cheer on the cyclones, they also want to see their friends that go to Iowa. Brown stated, “I went to the Iowa vs Iowa State game to see my friends and my sister that go to school there”.

Many students, especially seniors, at Pleasant Valley have either Iowa or Iowa state in one of their top 3 school’s and would enjoy supporting the hawkeyes or the cyclones. The rivalry between Iowa and Iowa State is well known and attracts many students that are looking for a college to go to because it offers school spirit along with some fun competition.