Turnabout turned around

Rumor has it this year that the annual winter dance, Turnabout, will now have changes made to it. In the past, Turnabout has been pretty much the same concept as homecoming, except for the tradition that the girls ask the guys to the dance. It’s always been a way for students to have a fun Saturday night out with their friends and dates and a good reason to get dressed up and feel beautiful and handsome. Well, things are starting to get a little more complicated this year.

It has come to many people’s attention that some students at Pleasant Valley aren’t happy, or are uncomfortable with the concept of turnabout. Because of this, there is a rumor that changes are starting to be made. The rumor is saying that Turnabout will now be on a Friday night after a home basketball game and going with a date will not be allowed. Turnabout is still quite a while away, so it is unsure if all of these changes will actually be made. It is upsetting for many people, especially seniors as this would be one of their last dances, to hear about this rumor.

Even though we hear only a few changes will be made, unfortunately, those small changes are changing the entire concept of Turnabout. Like mentioned before, Turnabout was always an anticipated day that began with getting ready for an eventful evening with friends and dates. If the rumors are true, here are some concerns with the event change: If it is supposedly after a home basketball game, there goes the fun of getting ready. Will basketball players want to go? Will girls want to go support the game with their hair and makeup done? Will the attendance of the game change because people are busy getting ready for the dance? All of these questions have people wondering if Turnabout is something they would even like to attend.

Freshman Ashlyn Schmidt says she was really looking forward to Turnabout since she had so much fun at Homecoming with her date, but she may be too stressed to go to Turnabout; especially since she performs at halftime every home game with the Platinum dance team. Another Pleasant Valley student, senior Hope Sickles, has been to Turnabout before and said that she, “Doesn’t believe Turnabout should be altered in any way if the rumors are said to be true.”

Turnabout has always been a fun night for all students. It shouldn’t matter, and to be truthful it never has mattered, if you go with a date, with a group of friends, or how you get asked in general. Everyone should go in a way they feel the most comfortable with. Turnabout has never been an issue, so why fix it when it isn’t broken?