Psychology and the good life

In recent times, the most popular course at Yale University has been a class titled “Psychology and the Good Life.” In fact, so many students signed up for this course that it is held in Woolsey Hall, a large auditorium mainly used for symphony concerts. In addition, two dozen teaching fellows were added to the staff to accommodate for the numbers. As the count currently stands, 1,182 students are enrolled in the class which is the most in the school’s 317 years of education. This number stands out compared to other classes not exceeding 600 students.

One reason for the sheer number of students enrolled could be attributed to the mental health crisis currently drawing attention. In fact, a study in 2013 showed that more than 50 percent of the undergraduate students acquired help from mental health care during their years at Yale.

Alannah Martinez, a current student taking the course, has experienced mental health issues. She said about her fellow students, “In reality, a lot of us are anxious, stressed, unhappy, numb. The fact that a class like this has such large interest speaks to how tired students are of numbing their emotions — both positive and negative — so they can focus on their work, the next step, the next accomplishment.” Martinez’s professor, Dr. Laurie Santos, agrees with this statement, claiming students at Yale most likely put less emphasis on their happiness in order to get into a prestigious school.

Luckily for these students, Santos’ class is designed specifically for them. The class integrates changing behavior with positive psychology- a branch that deals with how humans flourish. Santos gives her students assignments that makes them practice healthy behavior. One time, she cancelled class but required the students to use the time to do something social or creative; they were not allowed to work on any homework and study. Through this assignment, students could begin to show their peers ways they could spend their time that would improve their mental health. As Santos says, “Students want to change, to be happier themselves, and to change the culture here on campus.” The goal is that with time, the whole school will become a much happier place due to the changes having been made. Schools everywhere could potentially put the same emphasis on happiness and health and create a more positive environment altogether.