Athlete of the week: Kora Ruff

Athlete of the week: Kora Ruff

Freshman Kora Ruff sets the ball in a game.

Photo Credit to Spartan Shield staff

Photo Credit to Spartan Shield staff

Photo Credit to Spartan Shield staff

Azariah Courtney, Feature Section Editor

Athlete of the Week: Kora Ruff

Freshman Kora Ruff has impressibly obtained a spot on the varsity volleyball team at Pleasant Valley High School. Although Ruff has only been on the high school’s team for a few months, she has great promise of what she will be doing in her years to come in her athletic career.

With her mother as a volleyball coach and two older sisters heavily involved in the sport, it was inevitable for Ruff to become invested in the sport herself. She began to play in second grade; because of her family’s well-rounded understanding for the sport, Ruff has been able to portray her talents while enjoying herself in her work.

Making the varsity team has been a huge accomplishment for the freshman. Even though volleyball is a big commitment, she is able to make time for other important things in her life. Ruff said, “Outside of volleyball, I like to hangout with my friends and go visit both of my sisters; one is in college at Augustana University and another is a graduate assistant for volleyball at the University of Mary.”

Just as any other teenager, Ruff has her odd quirks and things she likes. Some of these include, mashed potatoes from a box and the fact that she is always wearing fuzzy socks. Even though she is able to find balance in enjoying activities outside of practice, Ruff’s life always seems to revolve around volleyball in some shape or form.

When she was younger, Ruff would entertain herself by playing volleyball in her yard with her sisters or go to watch some of the volleyball practices which her mother coached. Simple interactions with her family has shaped her into the athlete she is today.

Ruff said, “Basically every weekend I was at one of my sisters’ volleyball tournaments; I just loved being around it and my family has always supported me. My sisters and mom were always trying to teach me how to play and my mom has been coaching me for forever.”

The game itself is intriguing to Ruff because the game is fast paced and she enjoys her teammates’ company. She stated, “Being on the team has just been amazing. All the girls made me feel welcome and I love our team dinners and themed practices.”

Even after this season of high school volleyball, Ruff will continue playing for a club volleyball team in Iowa City. Because this club season continues into early July, she does not get to truly experience an offseason; Ruff keeps herself busy with her practices, which has aided in her in her achievements.

Ruff has ample time to make her high school career the best she possibly can. This comes with the support of her teammates as they have team bonding, where they get to know each other off the courts and during practices. Ruff says that being around the older girls on the varsity team is exciting. Being surrounded with support from her teammates creates a positive environment for the sport.