A dog’s life

Azariah Courtney
The school’s therapy dog, Mojo, poses for a picture.

Bringing a dog home can be a big adjustment and many families are hesitant to adopt a little furry animal. Concerns such as what type of dog to buy and whether or not a family has enough time to take care of a dog can arise, and may prevent families from adopting. Similarly to people, each dog has its own personality type. Finding the right dog personality to match the human personality is the key to happiness for both humans and dogs.

Even among those who don’t have a dog at home, students can agree that dogs make them feel happy, at ease, and less stressed. They say that dogs have an unconditional love that resonates joy to all those around them.

Within the Spartan high school halls, Mojo the therapy dog graces students all around with his presence. Mrs. Weaver, Mojo’s aid, said, “He makes everybody smile! Kids will come in and lay with Mojo in his bed. They often say that he is the best part of Pleasant Valley because he can tell if kids are upset and will go rest his head on their lap or try to comfort them in some other way. He works with kids that have anxiety, learning disabilities, or just want to see him.”

Having a dog at school helps to raise morale for the kids who go to see him, but when students come home from a rough day at school, they need a way to decompress. Dog lover Sheridan Culp said, “I love my dog because whenever I come home from a bad day at school, he’s always there at the door waiting for me, and he loves me unconditionally.” For students like Culp, a furry friend is the perfect way to decompress after a long day.

Similarly to humans, every dog is different. Certain breeds of dogs can have certain personality traits in common. According to itsrosy.com, humans often adopt similar personality traits to their dog. With the addition of a dog to a family, it’s easy to become more friendly and happy simply by being around the happy environment that a dog produces. Certain breeds of dogs are more introverted and like to chill while others can be more outgoing and active. Finding the right kind of dog to fit the owner’s lifestyle can spread happiness for both the dog and the owner.