Club spotlight: Model United Nations

The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization consisting of numerous countries from around the world to solve global conflict. Some of the key ideas outlined in the UN’s Charter are sustainable development, terrorism, and health emergencies around the world. However, adults involved in federal governments are not the only people interested in discussing global issues and drafting resolutions. What do curious Iowa high school students do? During the first weekend in April, they model it (literally).

Over the course of three days, students bring their completed position papers and their best business casual clothing to act as the best delegation possible for the country they represent. Country selections are done during the first quarter of the school year, where each school’s chapter decides on their top 5 countries they’d like to represent along with a reason for each one. After countries have been assigned, students must choose which committee they’d like to be a delegate for. Once their committee has been chosen, they are then assigned discussion topics based on their decision. Past topics have included weaponization of drones, the recognition of Palestine, and gender rights.

However, a delegation cannot show up to the conference unprepared. Throughout second semester leading up to the conference, delegates are expected to conduct in-depth research on their topic and to research the position the nation they represent takes. To prove they have done this, delegates must write a position paper that includes background information about the topic, the country’s position, and a justification for the stated position.

While conducting research to complete an assignment is abnormal for an extracurricular activity, this process is an example of the teamwork skills necessary in Model UN. Two-year member Mahum Haque said, “It [Model UN] taught me how to work on something independently while still working within a team. Me and my partner were able to take charge of our papers and guide ourselves, but still work together in order to be ready for the conference.”

A few weeks after papers are due, the time for the annual conference finally arrives. Students from across the state gather at the University of Northern Iowa where they buy a coffee from the dining hall, listen to a few opening speakers, and are then placed in conference rooms by committee. Quorum is set, a shared google doc of the resolution is shared, and delegates begin brainstorming amendments.

Model UN president Divya Vashisht stated, “Model UN has helped many students learn how the United Nations works to keep peace in the world. It’s a great experience because you get to enhance your knowledge of the world and see others’ views on current world issues.”

Something that is truly unique to Model UN is that it helps develop one’s leadership skills in a way that may be intimidating at the start, but is non-competitive and focuses on teamwork to compromise on a solution to a serious issue. This accelerates development of problem-solving skills which are useful throughout the course of one’s entire life.

If you are interested in joining Model UN, it is not too late! See Mr. George for more information.