Shooting for the Stars

Photo Credit to Maya Mcclain
A picture of the varsity girl’s basketball team after a winning game

As the girl’s basketball season approaches, many challenging practices await. “Hell week,” as the girl’s basketball team calls it, consists of two practices a day; one practice at 5:45 am and the other right after school. In high hopes of making it to State, they will make their best effort to persevere through the obstacles that lie ahead. 

Senior shooting guard Macy Beinborn explained why that week earned such a vicious name. “Hell week is always the hardest week of our whole basketball season. We have practices in the morning that are strictly conditioning, which we do on the football field. We also have after-school practices, which are a lot of skill work and competition drills.” This is the week that will determine if the girls make varsity or junior varsity, so it is very stressful and competitive for a lot of them who are fighting for playing time on the varsity team.

Although it’s still early, there are high hopes for the coming season. The girls explained that during every single practice so far, the team has been pushing everyone to get better. The team shares the mindset that this season is going to be a successful one, so staying positive is very important in order to reach their goals.  

The aspect that the girls enjoy most about their team is how much fun they have together. Practicing as much as they do, they spend quite a bit of time together and get to know one another very well through various team activities. “We have fun no matter what we are doing and are a really close group,” Beinborn said. Having a supportive and intelligent coaching staff drastically increases the team’s chemistry and bond. “The thing I love about my coach is how understanding and accepting she is. She teaches us a lot about basketball, but also teaches us so many life lessons that I think touch the whole team.”

Through all of the tough work, dedication, and persistence the girls have put in this preseason, they’re hoping for the best outcome. “It’s going to be a tough season, but with all of the commitment this team has, I know we will strive to be the best we can and work harder and harder each day,” Senior post player, Brianna Brauner explained.