Black Friday and Cyber Monday

Maya McClain
The Cyber Monday official website.

For many Americans, shortly after their Thanksgiving feast finishes, the shopping for Black Friday deals at local malls and stores begins. This tradition, occuring the night of Thanksgiving and into the Friday after, has been around for years and many partake in it annually.

Technology is always a well sought after gift, and many stores mark down their prices in honor of Black Friday. Some of the many stores selling discounted technology include Kohl’s, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and others. Many stores in the Quad Cities participate in Black Friday including American Eagle, ULTA, Bath & Body Works, Barnes and Noble, GAP and many more. To check out all the deals available on Black Friday you can check out the official Black Friday website.

For senior Ruth Davidson, Black Friday shopping is something she’s familiar with. “Since my parents are not huge Black Friday shoppers, I will go with my brother and sister Thanksgiving night to stores that have just opened their sales. We love to go to Dick’s sporting goods, Target, Ulta, and even the mall. I also love to go to Kohl’s because of their amazing deals,” Davidson said.

However as technology has advanced, another way to get shopping deals has emerged. Cyber Monday is a day for shopping fanatics to take advantage of online deals and coupons. This day provides the luxury that black friday cannot; doing all your shopping in the comfort of your own home.

By going onto its official website, shoppers can browse the many options Cyber Monday has to offer. From clothes to gifts to accessories, it’s not hard to find what you’re looking for. Another added benefit of Cyber Monday, as opposed to Black Friday, is everything you want to look at is in one place. No more driving from store to store, and no more waiting in long lines that have historically been an issue.

Last year on Cyber Monday, senior Gui Pinho bought a smartwatch. “It was much more pleasant buying from home than rushing into stores,” he commented. However, he thought the discounts online weren’t quite as good as those in stores.