Athlete of the week: Anna Griffin

Photo credit to Maya McClain
Anna Griffin represents Pleasant Valley well on the court

Anna Griffin, senior and basketball fanatic, has been playing the sport for the past thirteen years.

Through years of hard work and dedication, she has been able to significantly improve as a player and earned a spot as a varsity starter for this year’s girls basketball team.

Griffin started by playing on various club and summer teams such as PV Stars and PV Premier. When participating on these teams, she attended weekly practices, competed in frequent tournaments, and practiced heavily on her own time.

Griffin has also been playing with the school teams since middle school, where she was also a starter. Even when she was at this early stage in her career, Griffin was an influential leader on the team. Her work ethic, supportive and selfless attitude towards the rest of her teammates, positive nature, and playing ability all made her a pivotal foundation of her teams.

This has proven to be true during her high high school career as well. Adrea Artofer, senior and fellow varsity starter, has witnessed how much Griffin has impacted her teammates and the program in general. “Anna is a great teammate because she is constantly putting the team above herself and would do whatever it takes to make the team win, even if it doesn’t benefit her. As a player, she is always really consistent, shows great leadership qualities, and her communication helps us all defensively.”

It is with these great attitudes, playing abilities, and leadership skills that Griffin and her fellow teammates are setting up for a great season.

Griffin has noticed many changes in this year’s team compared to the teams she has been a part of in the past. “Our team this year is very unselfish. We don’t worry about ourselves, and how many points/ [much] attention we get. We worry about what’s best for the team in the moment and work on winning the game together.” Not only do the girls work hard and unselfishly together, but they also support each other. “We also love sharing in each other’s successes and celebrating big wins together.”

As Griffin’s basketball career approaches an end, she reflects on all of her past memories. She is unspeakably grateful for all of the experiences she has had because of basketball. She most enjoyed the connections she has made with her teammates over the years.  “Those special bonds I have been able to form with my best friends both on the court and off will last me a lifetime. Without basketball, I wouldn’t have had the opportunities I’ve had to make some great friends.”

Griffin’s teammates feel the same way about her. Artofer appreciates Griffin because she is, “the type of girl to make sure you are doing okay and give you advice, almost like a mother.” Nonetheless, the girls have the remainder of this season to spend time together as friends as they work hard alongside their fellow teammates to achieve great things as a team.