New and improved student section

Maya McClain
The Lady Spartans cheering on their teammates in a game against Central.

There are a lot of new faces on the Pleasant Valley girls’ basketball team for the 2018-19 season. The new Spartans have attracted many people’s attention because they want to get a look at what the team is all about.

I think this season more people want to attend games and support the team because there are many individuals on the girls basketball team that are amazing athletes as well as extremely outgoing and kind people, so fans want to go watch and support them. The team also has a lot of talent and is very fun to watch.

— Kara Neuhaus

In previous years of girls’ basketball, there would only be parents and siblings that would come support the Spartans. However, that hasn’t been the case so far for the basketball team. The student support for the girls’ games has been significantly higher this year than in years past.

“I think this season more people want to attend games and support the team because there are many individuals on the girls basketball team that are amazing athletes as well as extremely outgoing and kind people, so fans want to go watch and support them. The team also has a lot of talent and is very fun to watch,” student section leader, Kara Neuhaus, said.

The girls team is undefeated so far in the season and they are have turned a lot of heads in the community. There was a lot of doubt early on from everyone because they only returned two starters from last years team, but the inexperienced Spartans have worked their way into the class 5A rankings.

First year starter, Macy Beinborn, explained, “Student sections help so much. When you come out of the locker room and see a big crowd, it gets you excited for the game. Also having friends and classmates cheering and encouraging you throughout the game keeps you pumped up.”

The senior class in particular has been dedicated to show up to every game and cheer on their school.

“I think the fact that we are approaching our last semester of high school plays a large part in attendance. After being at PVHS for almost four years now we’ve seen how student sections before us have cheered and now it’s our chance to show underclassmen a good example. There are a limited amount of opportunities to cheer on your peers in high school, and I think once you reach your senior year you realize how important attending as many events as you can is,” Neuhaus stated.