PV’s course guide gets an update

Photo credit to Siobhan Morley
A drawing by AP Art student, junior Siobhan Morley.

As students prepare for class registration, there are many things that should be taken into consideration. New art and computer courses were proposed for the 2019-2020 school year at the Nov. 26 school board meeting.

The first new proposed class is App Development. The course would be an elective for juniors and seniors. According to the school board minutes, students in the class would “create, debug, enhance and test mobile applications, while designing the look and feel of a mobile application using design software.”

The second proposed class is Photography II, would which be an arts elective for grades 10-12. This class would add on to what students learn in Photography I, and would teach students in depth composition, techniques, and software.

Junior and AP Art student Sam Eliasen is glad with the possibility of a larger variety of classes available. “Every time that the art department gets a new class, it makes it more appealing to a wider variety of people and gives students a new kind of expression to learn and apply.”

The arts is not just about making pretty pictures. It is about problem solving, and those problem solving abilities will be transferred to other areas of their lives

— Aimee Peters

The final addition would be AP Studio Art: 3D Design, an elective for juniors and seniors. Students in this class would be taught “elements and principles of sculptural design, develop appreciation and problem solving skills in relationship to the visual arts.”

Art teacher Aimee Peters is also excited to see new classes being added to her department. She says that art classes teach valuable life skills. “The arts is not just about making pretty pictures. It is about problem solving, and those problem solving abilities will be transferred to other areas of their lives.”

“I am very thrilled with these new classes because it is going to make it easier for kids to fit the arts into their schedules,” says Peters. “It is going to be easier for the 3D interested kids to be able to take their art experience further.”

Eliasen encourages those to get involved with the new art classes. “I think that an art class gives you a different learning experience than any other classes. Only in my art classes have I been able to completely have my own style and learn to embrace it.”

Final review and approval for these new classes will appear on the Dec. 17 school board meeting agenda.

$480
$1000