Athlete of the week: Jacob McCredie

Athlete of the week: Jacob McCredie

Senior Jacob McCredie is captured swimming breaststroke, his best stroke. He is currently one of the state’s top breaststrokers.

Photo credit to Elizabeth McCredie

Photo credit to Elizabeth McCredie

Photo credit to Elizabeth McCredie

Christy Bishop, Staff Contributor

Jacob McCredie, one of the senior captains of the boys high school swim team, was nominated by his peers and teammates to be a featured athlete.

McCredie is a four-year-member of the varsity team. He has been having a fantastic season so far with times fast enough in the 100 yard breaststroke to place him near the top of the state. McCredie is obviously a strong competitor, but he also enjoys the sport for the lessons it has taught him.

“Swimming is important to me because it has taught me so much that makes me who I am today. It has given me a whole team of friends throughout high school and they are people that I will remember forever,”McCredie said of his value of swimming. He is grateful to have such strong support from his teammates as they all strive to achieve their goals.

Swimming is important to me because it has taught me so much that makes me who I am today. It has given me a whole team of friends throughout high school and they are people that I will remember forever.”

— Jacob McCredie

While there is no shortage of hard workers on the swim team, McCredie’s teammates claim he stands out in terms of dedication. Fellow senior captain Kevin Burke said, “Jacob is one of the hardest working guys on the team. His effort has shown throughout the season, as he is proving to be one of the top breaststrokers in the state.”

McCredie attributes some of his accomplishments to the positive atmosphere of the team. He said, “We are all motivating each other to try our best each practice because we want the best results possible this year.” McCredie recognized the importance of such a strong team, claiming he saw the work ethic and positive attitudes paying off at the previous invites which they came in first and second at.

With his team behind him, McCredie has high hopes for his last swim season. He has a humble eye on the 100 breaststroke school record. He thinks this goal may be a bit of a longshot, as it was set in 2015 by Nick Staver, who is now swimming at the University of  Missouri, but he believes in his training. He said, “I have been putting everything into each practice and hopefully it will all pay off in the end.”