Filed under Opinion

Lacking the sense of leadership

Lacking the sense of leadership

2017-2018 student section cheering on the Spartans at the 'Hoops for Hope' game.

Natalie Murphy

Natalie Murphy

Natalie Murphy

The class of 2019 is no stranger to traditions and stereotypes established by previous classes. Though specific lunch table assignments have been left in the past, others like the “senior bench” and the game day “bathroom rushes” remain. The common theme between the three is the type of leadership which the senior class chooses to step up to.

A tradition that is consistently run by the senior class is the involvement of students at sporting events. The most notable and highest student involvement is seen under the Friday night lights in the fall with Frontline. The Frontline consists of about 20 seniors who have the unwritten obligation to be the face of the student section and keep the energy high throughout.

Senior Megan Dague is a long-time supporter of both the boys and girls basketball teams. Dague remembers a great energy that surged through the bleachers when she was an underclassman. “When the stands are full, it really gets the players pumped up and also being in the stands, you are able to have fun,” she said.

However, this year has had less turnout than in previous years for many sports. Although the volleyball team presented a talented lineup that would eventually share the MAC title and compete in playoffs, there was a consistently low turnout throughout the volleyball season that set the tone for student attendance for sports outside of football.

Frustration was not only seen by students in attendance, but also by the athletes on the court. As a veteran to both teams, senior varsity athlete Adrea Arthofer has had a leadership position in both volleyball and basketball. Arthofer explained, “It’s more frustrating when you hear people discrediting the games and they just plain don’t want to go. I don’t think people realize how hard we work–girls and guys–and especially when you have teams as good as ours, it’s crazy the lack of presence our student section has.”

The bareness of the student section continued into the winter sports season. Dague specifically recalled the experience of a Friday night girls’ basketball game against Assumption on Jan. 18, during which “there were maybe eight students there including me,” she said.

Of course, the members of the student section are exactly that: students. Tasks such as homework and work are excusable reasons for low attendance, but for how talented both basketball teams and our volleyball team are, there should be more representation from the peers of the athletes. This must start with the senior class and how they choose to use their position as leaders in the student body to support others. Arthofer believes it’s important to support one another. “Whether that’s coming to the games or simply just knowing about how well our sports teams are doing, it’s a community, so we should be out supporting each other,” she said.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Lacking the sense of leadership”

1. Will bogner on February 7th, 2019 2:12 pm

Smh

2. Noah Decker on February 8th, 2019 12:05 pm

I think the student section is great. They are always very supportive.

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Drake Relays: muddying the waters of what it takes to be part of “Iowa’s finest athletes”

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

From candy to cards: PV’s Valentine’s Day

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Curriculum in need of diversification

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Spartan Nation’s lack of motivation

• Lacking the sense of leadership

The Elephant in the Room

Voting for false representation

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Barstool arrives at PV–and not everyone is laughing

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Teen Green!

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Recognition for non-school sponsored sports

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

‘Tis the season of giving… germs

• Lacking the sense of leadership

Opinion

Why dual credit may not be the best option

Lacking the sense of leadership