Spartan seniors share the spotlight one last time

Senior+Carter+Duwa+scores+two+points+against+Muscatine.++Carter+finished+his+high+school+career+on+a+high+note+with+20+points+in+the+all-star+game.++

Senior Carter Duwa scores two points against Muscatine.  Carter finished his high school career on a high note with 20 points in the all-star game.

Senior Carter Duwa scores two points against Muscatine. Carter finished his high school career on a high note with 20 points in the all-star game.

Amy Duwa

Amy Duwa

Amy Duwa

Trevor Glaum, Business Manager

Pleasant Valley was represented by two basketball players on Iowa’s all-star boys team this year.  The 20th annual high school all-star game was played last Monday in the Roy J. Carver Center at Augustana College. The two Pleasant Valley senior boys made a difference in securing the win for Iowa.  

Carter Duwa and Hunter Snyder have been teammates on the court since elementary school.  The two guards had an opportunity to finish their high school careers together playing on the Iowa senior all-star team. “A moment that I will not forget,” Snyder said.

Duwa, the MVP of the game, was one of the six Iowa players to score double digit points.  He scored eight field goals and added four points from the line. “I was feeling confident coming in,” Duwa said. “I wanted to go out with a bang.”

After an impressive high school career, Duwa will continue to play at Augustana College in the fall. His friend and teammate Snyder won’t be far away, playing for the University of Dubuque.

“(Carter is) by far my favorite person to be on the court with all of my career,” said Snyder.  The all-star game was an “awesome experience” that also brought a satisfying finish to his high school career. With less than 30 seconds left, Snyder made two crucial free throws to give Iowa a three point lead.  His teammate, Dylan Peeters of Assumption high school, brought the game to a close with a dunk to give Iowa the 106-101 win.

Both PV seniors had a chance to put the finishing touches on an impressive game.  Duwa got the pass at the top of the key with under 25 seconds left. He took it down the court and made a layup. Snyder stole the ball after Illinois took possession, was fouled, and made two from the line to seal the game.  

Having a chance to end high school with a win was a special moment for Duwa. “It was really fun playing against the guys I’ve battled hard against the past four years and leaving with a win made it that much better,” he said.

The two players will go their separate ways in the fall, but their bond as friends and teammates will be something they each remember. Leading the Spartans on the court for years and representing Pleasant Valley in the all star game are honors they have been grateful for.