Helping the community one birdie at a time

Every+birdie+at+the+John+Deere+Classic+increases+the+money+donated+for+local+Mississippi+Valley+charities.+Even+a+pledge+of+1+cent+per+birdie+can+raise+over+20+dollars+by+the+end+of+the+tournament.+
Pexels via pixabay
Every birdie at the John Deere Classic increases the money donated for local Mississippi Valley charities. Even a pledge of 1 cent per birdie can raise over 20 dollars by the end of the tournament.

The John Deere Classic is played every summer in Silvis, Illinois where some of golf’s best players compete. For every birdie scored, money is donated to over 500 local charities.

April 15 was the start of the 2019 fundraising efforts. Local charities can pick up the fundraising packets and start to distribute them to donors. Donors are asked to pledge an amount for every birdie over the four days of play. Pledges start at one cent and can also be given as a lump sum.  

The Birdies for Charity program is unique on the PGA TOUR because the impact it has. “We are excited to kick off the annual John Deere Classic charity miracle in which the PGA TOUR’s smallest market consistently produces one of the largest charity totals among the PGA TOUR’s 48 tournaments,” said John Deere Classic tournament director Clair Peterson.  

Last year, Birdies for Charity raised nearly 13.5 million dollars: a record setter. They also broke the 100 million dollar threshold for total donations since the opening of the program in 1971.

The Birdies for Charity program has continued to give local groups an easy and affordable way to raise funds for operating costs and help the community. Program director Kristy Ketcham Jackson finds it to be a great fundraising tool for local organizations. “The John Deere Classic Birdies for Charity Program continues to be an extremely powerful and cost-effective way for non-profit organizations to maximize their fundraising efforts,” she said.  

Birdies for Charity helps organizations with special ties to Pleasant Valley. Like PV, Birdies for Charity donates to programs such as the River Bend Food Bank and The Mississippi Regional Blood Center. The blood center hosts several blood drives at PVHS, and is the charity spotlight for this year’s Birdies for Charity.

2019 is an exciting year for the John Deere Classic and Birdies for Charity. The partnership has another chance to make an impact on the greater Quad Cities area through the successes of players at the tee.