Why should I care about the Space X launch?

+The+launch+on+May+4+in+which+SpaceX+sent+the+Dragon+spacecraft+to+deliver+important+supplies+to+the+International+Space+Station+on+the+Falcon+9+rocket.%0D%0A

The launch on May 4 in which SpaceX sent the Dragon spacecraft to deliver important supplies to the International Space Station on the Falcon 9 rocket.

Photo taken by Official SpaceX Photos via Wikimedia Commons

Lilly Parker, Copy Editor

SpaceX, a private American aerospace manufacturer dedicated to creating new space technology with the end goal of finding planets sustainable for human life, launched an impressive spacecraft into orbit on May 4.

The CEO, Elon Musk, created the modern space empire in 2002 and has been successful in space exploration ever since. Most recently, they launched Dragon, which is the first private spacecraft to deliver supplies to astronauts working on the International Space Station.

According to SpaceX, Dragon is a ground-breaking piece of technology because it is capable of safely bringing up to 7 people and “environmentally sensitive cargo” into orbit and back to Earth. Dragon was initially launched by the Falcon 9 rocket, another important piece in the launch because it is the first rocket capable of being used multiple times. This feature allows SpaceX to reduce the cost of their launches and make space travel easier to access.

Porter Cottrell, a Pleasant Valley senior, has always taken a special interest in the development of space travel. He was one of the few people at school who watched the SpaceX Dragon launch live stream.

“It’s crazy to me how big of a deal the moon landing was, and how now one of my biggest role models [Elon Musk] is in the process of making commercial space travel a reality,” he said

The mission’s name was CRS-17 because it was the seventeenth commercial resupply services mission SpaceX attempted. NASA shared Dragon brought more than 5,900 pounds of scientific equipment to the International Space Station. The hardware will be a vital part of NASA’s research on how to reduce waste at the bacterial level. The conclusions drawn from the studies could change the way we use our natural resources on Earth, and it could possibly take information from other planets that could be useful in saving ours.

Also, to make the missions more successful, SpaceX has partnered with NASA in hopes of delivering more humans to space in the near future. Senior Natalie Cremer believes the partnership between NASA and SpaceX is highly beneficial to the human race and the Earth because of their strides in space exploration.

“I think it’s great, because this is leading us on a path to positively impact our future,” she said. Cremer also mentioned that if SpaceX keeps making advancements and progress in the designs of their spacecrafts, she would seriously consider moving to another planet in the event the Earth becomes unsuitable for human life.

SpaceX has far more to offer than the Dragon in terms of advanced space technology that could open this world up to millions more. Elon Musk and his team of genius scientists and engineers will be crucial for the human race’s success in the future.

About the Writer
Lilly Parker, Copy Editor

My name is Lilly Parker and I am a Copy Editor for the Spartan Shield online. I am a senior at Pleasant Valley High School, and in the past four years...