The nostalgia effect

Sanjiv Iyer
Senior Jacob Parker logs on to play Minecraft, a game he loved in his youth and has recently rediscovered.

Minecraft has recently surged in popularity, making a strong comeback for the first time since 2015. Its sudden spike inevitably brings up the question: Why is it popular again?

Society has a way of making trends come and go, but none fluctuate as drastically as pop culture. In this era of technology, popularity could be thought of as paramount. Whether it be through social media like Twitter, or streaming sites like Netflix, society decides what is “popular” until the next big thing comes along. 

Minecraft is no different to this trend. Released in 2009, the game quickly grew to astonishing levels of popularity until it hit its peak in 2013. However, as Minecraft fell out of pop culture, it waned out of the spotlight and was replaced by newer games. Now, its resurgence can be credited to those who abandoned it in the first place.

Nostalgia has a deep impact on what is considered popular, especially among generations. As described by senior Paul Malachuk, “Minecraft’s recent revival reflects how people in small generation groups hold on tightly to things that they regard as specifically theirs.” This statement not only is applicable to Minecraft, but the entertainment industry as a whole. 

Created in 1977, Lucasfilms decided to add multiple movies to the Star Wars series, which was thought to be finished. Its massive success only affirms the point that nostalgia is pivotal in how pop culture functions. It works as a beacon for generations to gather around, while garnering support in other generations to create a new wave of those who fall in love with it for the first time.

When asked, senior Kishore Vijaykumar stated “Nostalgia allows for pop culture to be cyclical. Things popular in the past are constantly being brought back because people are immediately interested in it due to its past popularity.” Vijaykumar’s view differed from what Malachuk believed as he cited how popularity is a cycle and Malachuk attributed it to the generational interest.

This perpetual cycle can be found everywhere. Netflix’s most watched show to date is The Office, which stopped airing in 2013. The show, Stranger Things takes place in the 80’s, drawing in an audience that could relate to then while also captivating a new audience. 

While most teenagers haven’t had many times to reminisce about, the effects of nostalgia are still present. Senior Aditya Desai explained, “It brings us back to simpler times and easier lives. We love remembering our youth, and pop culture loves nostalgia because of that.” 

Minecraft is just the most recent in a long string of once popular things being rejuvenated with new life through pop culture. It is bound to come down in popularity as the weeks progress, but it will only be a matter of time before the nostalgia kicks in again.