Sole senior: Golfer leaves an impact in his final season

PV Publications
(From Left to Right) Alex Blackwell, Jack Roemer, Nathan Tillman, Lucas Wood, Jack Dumas and Mitchell Wood compete in the state golf tournament over this past weekend.

As the quarter comes to an end, many high school athletes finish their last seasons as a varsity athlete. After the state golf tournament this past weekend, Lucas Wood is one of many such athletes. 

Wood played his final state tournament this past weekend. While the team lost the third-place trophy by a tiebreaker, their resilient performance was nothing short of extraordinary. Becoming conference and district champions are no small feat, and it couldn’t have been done without the talent of the team.

Wood developed into a better golfer over his high school career, but he credits another skill as growing more. “I’ve become a better leader and had to learn quickly while playing on a young team,” he said. Young team is not an understatement, as Wood is the sole senior on a squad made up of sophomores and juniors. 

Over the course of his career, the Spartans had numerous memorable moments. “I don’t have a favorite memory because I enjoyed every minute as a member of the team,” he said. However, there are a plethora of moments like getting second place at the state golf tournament last year and winning the MAC multiple times over the years.

Lucas’s relationship with the team goes farther than just teammates. Mitchell Wood, a sophomore on the Varsity golf team, is a teammate and family. “Having my brother on the team made things a lot easier. I was able to get to know my teammates quicker and have some advice during my first meets,” Mitchell said.

Lucas served as a role model for the team in many ways through his leadership. “This year was special to me because of my role as a leader and being able to guide the younger kids to success,” said Lucas. His brother and fellow teammates looked to Lucas as an example of hard work and persistence.

“My brother has put a lot of time and effort into perfecting his game. It’s something that I look up to and hope to honor once he graduates,” said Mitchell Wood.