Pleasant Valley’s new award draws attention to dedication of Ian Spangenberg and other teachers

Taylor English
Ian Spangenberg teaches a lesson to his AP Physics II students.

Pleasant Valley is known by many for its teaching excellence and recently received an award recognizing the quality of the school’s advanced placement (AP) teachers, including Ian Spangenberg.

The award, known as the AP District Honor Roll, was given to the school based on the performance of the AP teachers. They were recognized for teaching their respective courses in ways that allowed students to receive high scores on the AP tests.

Spangenberg teaches AP Physics I and II and focuses on showing students how to apply the material to their lives. “My goal is to teach in a way that makes physics real for students,” he said. “I don’t want kids to think of physics as set of equations.” 

His passion for his subject matter and the role physics plays in the world is noticeable to his students. Senior Ekta Kulkarni has enjoyed Spangenberg’s style of teaching. “One of his best qualities is his dedication to his subject area,” she said. “His class is really fun and engaging because of this dedication.”

While Spangenberg loves physics, he recognizes that not every student desires to pursue it past high school. He wants students to learn all the things he finds interesting about the universe, but also learn skills they will use in all aspects of life. “Even if you don’t go onto to be a physicist, you will be working with data,” he said. “My ultimate goal as a teacher is to prepare students for their futures, help students acquire the skills they need.”

For Kulkarni, Spangenberg’s desire to help students succeed is evident. “I think that he is one of those teachers who truly care about their students and their well-being,” she said. 

Kulkarni could always count on Spangenberg to give her the assistance she needed to succeed. “I would go to his class during 8th hour to get help and he never said no. That’s another great thing about him— he’s always available to help,” she said.

While Kulkarni is excited to graduate, teachers such as Spangenberg will make the departure bittersweet. “He’s a great teacher, and I’m really going to miss him when I graduate,” she said.The manner in which Spangenberg and other Pleasant Valley teachers have approached educating has allowed the school to receive an impressive award.