Students anticipate Thanksgiving traditions as holidays draw nearer

Kate Stewart
Pumpkins and a “Give Thanks” banner are captured at Shady Knoll Farm in East Moline, a place at which many families spend time for fall traditions.

Though the US greatly values tradition and sees it as something that produces a flow of predictability,” recently the rigidness of habitual practices around the holidays has begun to fluctuate.

With an abundance of cultures within Pleasant Valley’s walls, each holiday is celebrated differently across homes in the district. However, even those with a typical American family have their own traditions unique to their families.

Many people within Pleasant Valley have annual traditions they look forward to around Thanksgiving. Senior Nick Kamp enjoys the holidays with his family. “Every year both sides of my family come over and we watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade,” he said. “We watch football and play dominoes every year.”

While some revere the repetition of yearly activities, others look forward to their unique experiences surrounding the holidays. 

Senior Siobhan Morley and her family have more unconventional traditions around Thanksgiving. “I don’t remember the last time we had a Thanksgiving meal,” said Morely. “My family is always on vacation for the holidays, and we have a habit of getting McDonald’s. For Thanksgiving I have an Oreo McFlurry.”

Senior Grace Welveart also has unique traditions regarding her Thanksgiving meal. “Last year we deep-fried a turkey,” she said. Her family often tries to find unique ways to tweak their Thanksgiving meals so each year the holiday is unique.

Junior Khushi Thakur’s family practices traditions involving Thanksgiving meals that vary as well. “We have people over but my family doesn’t really cook,” said Thakur. “We always go to Steak ‘n’ Shake for shakes at night.”

The holiday season often invites feelings of gratitude but also encourages others to give. Kamp’s family frequently becomes involved in donations around Thanksgiving. “We give money to the Salvation Army every Thanksgiving,” he said. “My parents are really adamant about giving to others, especially around the holidays.”

Though those with different cultures have different experiences around the holidays, even those Americans with a traditional family structure have their own unique adaptations to holiday traditions that are decades old.