If he can do it, why can’t she…

Maddy Licea
Chase Licea sitting next to Senior Abbey Wehrheim, Licea holding a sign saying “I can” while Wehrheims says “I can’t” in representation of the recent sexism in the US government.

Congresswoman Katie Hill stepped down from Congress on Nov. 1 after allegations of an inappropriate relationship with a member of her staff and pornographic images were released by her soon-to-be ex-husband.

Hill admitted to an inappropriate relationship with a female worker on her campaign trail; however, she denied her relationship with anyone working in her office. While Hill’s actions were wrong, she would’ve been treated differently if she had been a straight male. 

The nude images were released by Hill’s husband, Kenny Heslep, with who she is currently in the divorce process. Although the images were wrong and Hill should not have taken them, the pictures should not have been considered reason when pushing for her to resign from her position. The photos released by Heslep are under the California law of “revenge porn” and, therefore, were illegally published. Evidence that is released illegally should not have forced Hill out of her seat if it wouldn’t hold in a court of law.

While nude images are not condoned, it is simply a body.

Hill’s actions were not perfect and do deserve some consequences; all the same, if she were a male, she would still have a position in the office. Congressman Joe Barton did not choose to run for Congress after his nude images were released in 2018; however, he was not pressured to resign in the same way Hill recently was. 

Congressman Patrick Meehan used taxpayer dollars to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a female staffer. His scandal was exposed in January of 2018 yet he did not resign until April of 2018. While Meehan did eventually resign, he was able to stay in office for four months during the scandal. The months were considered one of the most politically active times in years. 

Meehan was also able to stay far too long after preaching how the woman he sexually assaulted “was his soulmate.” However, she described the experience as unwanted romantic overtures.”

Senior Karleigh Nading commented on the manor, “They should either all be punished or all should not. Gender equality should be an expectation in Congress,” she said. 

Not to mention as a country, a sexual predator was elected to office. President Donald Trump was shown on national television saying how he felt entitled to “grab em’ by the pussy.” These comments however did not stop him from being elected to the highest office in the land, where he still remains.

It is time we hold men to the same standards we hold women.