What it really means to be a princess: the evolution of Disney’s lessons to youth

Maya Johnson
Little kids, Quinn Johnson and George Chandler, channel their inner Anna and Kristoff after feeling inspired by the new Frozen 2 movie on December 15, 2019.

Breaking records in the box office and defying societal stereotypes, Frozen 2 has been winning big and creating conversation since its release this November. With focus on the destruction of toxic masculinity, the struggles of coping with growing pains, and the beauties of platonic love, all with a little humor, the reason for the film’s success is no secret.

Already the eighth most successful film of the year, Frozen 2 marks Disney’s sixth billion dollar project of 2019. While the viewings are not expected to stop anytime soon, Disney has already achieved $10 billion in sales this year, making it the first studio to ever reach such success. 

Sequel to the ever famous Frozen (2013), this film continues the story of lovable sisters, Anna and Elsa, on their new journey of self discovery by using their past to forge a new future. Other favorite characters return as well, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven, each with their own new storylines to bring fresh dynamics to the familiar scene.

While the initial story centralized on the importance of being vulnerable and opening up to loved ones, not only for romance but for strong familial and friend relationships as well, the themes of Frozen 2 go above and beyond the ones of the original.

Senior and avid Frozen fan, Addie Even, is drawn to the films because of their ability to make her laugh and think simultaneously. “I’ve seen Frozen more times than I can count. I first loved the movie because of its cuteness, but I keep going back to it because of its story. I think it can teach a lot to young kids, but also adults,” said Even.

The story that follows the icy clan is heartwarming, but also captivating and refreshing. The portrayal of sibling relationships, reliable romance, and a good attitude constitute just a few of the beneficial lessons the film has to offer. 

Kristoff’s role in the sequel is especially vital to the positive influence the film has taken over today’s youth. Playing the role of a lovesick romantic, Kristoff’s storyline centralizes on his relationship with Anna and his struggles to propose to her. His ability to express vulnerability, love and his insecurities all while being supportive and noble are vital to impressionable young boys.

Some fans argue that Kristoff playing the typical female role in the fairytale is unfair to his storyline, but others realize that the swap is important. Senior and big sister to an eight-year-old brother, Ilah Perez Johnson is grateful that sensitive men are being portrayed in the media to give young boys a role model.

“From a young age, many boys are told and shown that they are weak or less manly if they cry and show emotion,” Perez-Johnson said. “I’m glad there are movies and characters like this to show boys that it’s okay to express all of their emotions, even the vulnerable ones.”

With Kristoff’s focus on love, Anna and Elsa’s stories are able to focus on other important aspects of the movie. Both learn how to trust themselves and each other, in order to save their beloved kingdom. With two strong women heroes, it is no secret that the Frozen flims are feminist crusades.

The representation, lessons and storylines present in Frozen 2 make it all around a fun family film, while doubling as a great teacher. As society progresses, it is only natural that the entertainment industry morphs as well. In this case, the progressivism seen in today’s youth are being reflected by the themes of Frozen 2, which are very different from the ways of the world in years past.

Disney films of the past, like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, while classics, are underdeveloped in this aspect. However, Disney knows that change can be hard, yet necessary for growth and fellowship, something Olaf hopes all his fans learn too. 

Whatever the lesson fans hope to take away from Disney’s newest film, Frozen 2, it is safe to say the majority will be satisfied with its fresh interpretation on inclusion, representation, diversity and putting a whole new meaning on the title of princess.