Joker movie controversy

Christopher Cumberbatch
Darsh Balani (center) smiles, recreating the classic joker pose shown at the beginning of the movie and symbolizing his false happiness.

The controversy around the Joker movie is not a secret. However, Joker has performed astoundingly well at the box office, breaking the October record with an opening weekend of $93.5 million.  Articles ranged from calling the movie the best in years to saying it inspires violence across America. 

The director of the film, Todd Phillips, and the starring actor, Joaquin Phoenix, have responded in opposite ways to the controversy of the film. Phillips spoke on social media. “The far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda,” he said. Phoenix walked out of an interview when asked if he thought the film would inspire violence. 

School resource officer Jamie Fah saw the movie as a litmus test. “The movie is made in a way that you will see what you want to see,” Fah said. He also disagreed with the notion that the joker was a sympathetic character and rather was a case study on the mentally ill. “The way he acted in that movie was almost exactly how mentally ill people act in my experience in my job. It makes the movie seem terribly believable.” 

Students  had differing views on the film. “If someone is already crazy, they might see the Joker and commit a crime,” said Senior Matthew Dresselhaus “But if someone is fine, then nothing should happen. People should watch the movie.” In opposition is senior, Eli Lloyd, who said that the movie is “weird” and “not worth it.” However, they both agreed that the movie’s message is about mental health and the repercussions of what happens when it is not treated properly.

The movie company, Cinemark, will not show the movie in the Aurora theatre in which the Dark Knight shooting happened in 2012. There have been no cases of reported violence at any Joker showing so far, despite increased police security. Fah was called to be a part of extra movie security the opening night of the film, and in New York, there will be a police officer in every theater it will be shown in.