Social media platforms explode about an unrealistic draft as a potential war looms on the horizon

Representative Alexander Prime drawing the first number for the draft for the Vietnam War in 1969.
Wikimedia by Wile Heresiarch

Tensions between Iran and the United States have never been higher, and Americans have taken to social media platforms to express their thoughts, fears and jokes about a potential draft.

President Donald Trump informed the world on Friday that the United States was successful in a targeted airstrike which assassinated known Iranian military leader Qasem Soleimani. Some Americans and other people around the world believe Trump’s attack might result in a third World War. With a potential World War III on the horizon, the conversation of a draft into the army erupted across social media.

While people’s responses to a prospective draft have taken over Twitter, all jokes aside, the odds of a draft happening are extremely low as many things have to happen beforehand.

In order for a draft to occur, the first and foremost thing in order to hold a draft is to be in an actual war itself. Trump claims his actions were in an effort to prevent a war and not cause one. “We did not take action to start a war,” he told reporters as he urged Iran not to retaliate. However, Iran has vowed to seek revenge, further speculation this feud could possibly expand into something more.

The use of drones by the United States’ military also decreases the need for soldiers out on the battlefield. Even if the drones use was exhausted, the current enrolled and deployed military members would be used before the government started drafting citizens.

There are also legal actions that need to occur before a draft can take place. Trump would have to issue a Presidential act, along with congressional approval, to reinstate the draft. As for females being included in the draft, the draft itself would have to be reformed.

Senior Jacob Parker has seen the response by Americans to the potential war and prospective draft. “I think the jokes are funny, but the odds of a draft occurring aren’t realistic,” Parker said.

Even with a war on the horizon of America’s future, a draft is unrealistic for years to come as it has to overcome several realistic and legal steps necessary for the draft to be reinstated.