Obama’s Last Hurrah

For the past eight years Barack Obama has been the leader of the United States; Controlling the law and changing the way America runs one step at a time. Obama has changed history by being the first African American president, but soon all of this is coming to an end. Tuesday, November 8, a new president will be elected and the face of America will change. The fight between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is at its peak, with candidates at each other’s throats, voters are thinking about what the future will be.

President Obama has done multiple good and bad things. Pleasant Valley teacher, John Hoty, says, “I think Obama has done a good job when it comes to interactions with the public and keeping up to date with the people. He has shown this by being more personable and open to the public about himself, family and daily life.” While Obama was not this way in the beginning, as his four year term was coming to an end he felt the need to show America what the Obamas were truly like. Not only was Obama personable, but he was able to accomplish many things: a united health care system for America, known as the Affordable Care Act, ended the war with Iraq, improved school nutrition, and much more.

The past years have been granted some good but have also been granted some not so good, as Hoty would say, “Obama was too soft when it came to international relations, he needed to be a hard-ass.” Along with the international cowardness, Obama’s policies have created 11,427,000 people leaving the workforce. While Obama had promised to cut the national debt, he has instead increased it by 7 trillion dollars. Obama Care has also been seen as something good when in reality it has taken millions of dollars out of other programs to finance this new health care.

The good and the bad are faced and balanced. America overall has agreed that Obama has been a good president. Many presidents in the past have made mistakes just like him. The people have come to an agreement of respect for the first African American president. But what is to come to the future of America? Math teacher, Barbara Pischke states, “I’m scared for what is to come, because there really is no good option.” We have savored the last few years of sanity and peace, and now get to see the lives of America change.