The importance of Youth Night to sports programs

Emily Scranton
Pleasant Valley Girl’s Basketball team signing posters for future Spartans at youth night.

Many student athletes have been playing sports since they could remember, running around like herds of animals after a ball they all want but not really knowing what to do with it once they receive it. The young athletes of Pleasant Valley School District are no different as they all gather to support high school athletes that they look up to.

This past Tuesday, the girls basketball program held a youth night at the high school girls basketball game against Davenport West. This event brought in basketball players from kindergarten to eighth grade. The young athletes came to support their basketball role models and future coaching staff. 

The coach of the varsity girls basketball team, Jennifer Goetz, believes youth night is very important. “I think building sports programs for younger kids is very important. It’s where you lay the groundwork for your program,” she said. 

Youth night’s sole purpose is not just laying the groundwork for future teams; Goetz added it’s a way to encourage aspiring athletes. “We want them to be excited to be a PVGBB player,” she continued. 

Although the girl’s basketball youth night is such a significant event, youth nights among other sports are equally as important to their programs and the people that are a part of them. The boys basketball team has a youth night as well, along with volleyball, soccer, wrestling, football and others.

Senior Natalie Adams, a volleyball player, enjoys having a youth night. “Youth night is important to me because as a kid, I went to them and it always made me feel special and now it’s important to know we have kids looking up to us to set good examples,” she said. 

Having a youth night means just as much to the players as it does to the little kids watching them. Adams also believes in a deeper meaning behind the event. “We learn that there is more to the game than just girls on our team, we have so much support from others as well,” she presented. 

Athletes of all ages look forward to this event. It’s a way to come together as a whole program and learn about more than a sport. It’s an event that not only brings athletes together, but also creates a family.