Lighting up the pool

Liz McCredie
Pleasant Valley boys swim team cheers on their teammates at their home meets this season.

The Pleasant Valley boys swim team rolled in style as they showed off their light up shoes at the state meet this year. 

In the past the team bleached their hair to show their excitement and dedication to competing in the state meet, but last year they changed it up and wore light up shoes. This year they continued the new tradition, “We plan to do it again this year,” said senior swimmer Nate Martell, “The crowd at state seemed pretty impressed with them last year.”

The team may have made a fashion statement, but they were more concentrated on making a statement in the pool. In the practices leading up to the meet, the team focused on improving the smaller details of the race. For example turns, starts, and relay exchanges; these minor elements are essential to their race. “At this level of competition, everything matters,” said Martell, “Races come down to the hundredth of a second.”

The swimmers have to handle a lot of pressure that goes along with each race especially when they are competing for a state title. “The key is to utilize the adrenaline as a way to swim faster,” said Martell, “All of the boys on the team are there to support one another as well.”

At the district qualifying meet seven individuals and four relays qualified for this year’s state meet which took place on Feb. 15 at the University of Iowa’s Recreation and Wellness Center.

The team finished 10 overall with 76.5 points and ended with four top 10 finishes. The 100 freestyle and 400 freestyle relays both finished in 8. The 200 medley and 200 freestyle relays both received 9.

Sophomore Parker Paulson competed in the 200 IM and 100 butterfly placing 11 and 19. He was also part of the 200 medley and the 400 freestyle relays. “State was definitely amazing to take part in and it was a lot of fun for me as well as our team as a whole,” he said. 

There is a lot of competition at the meet which can be very intimidating, but sophomore Ryan Vance did not let this affect him. “When you race, you realize that you’re competing against some of the fastest swimmers that Iowa has ever had,” he said, “When I swam I was really happy with how I did.”

The swimmers knew that competing in state was a great accomplishment and took full advantage of this experience. “It was a great opportunity to represent Pleasant Valley at that meet and compete against the other teams in the state,” said Paulson.