Male athlete of the week: Jacob Townsend

Jacob Townsend sizes up the Davenport West defense during PV’s basketball game on Dec. 20 2019.

Jacob Townsend first stepped foot on the court at 5 years old. Eleven years later, the junior basketball player is still continuing to perfect his game.

His drive to compete has recently paid dividends; with a career-high 25 point game, he spurred the Spartans to a 58-41 win over the Davenport West Falcons on Feb. 4. Townsend only scored two points in the first quarter; he kicked it into high gear for the remaining three quarters to earn 23 more points. He finished the game making nine of his 14 shots from the field and seven of his eight free-throw attempts. This was his second 20-plus point game of his varsity career.

With Townsend at the helm, the Spartans were also able to defeat the Bettendorf Bulldogs on Feb. 14 in a nail-biting 46-41 win. Townsend was the lead scorer; he put together 14 points, six rebounds and an assist to lead Pleasant Valley past the crosstown rival.

Townsend has also helped the team in ways the scoreboard cannot show. Junior Michael Musal, one of Townsend’s teammates, described him as a valuable leader. “He leads by example by working hard every day and making everyone better,” Musal said. “His will to win has kept everyone positive and motivated throughout the season.”

Townsend has a couple motivating factors of his own to keep him focused on his final two seasons as a Spartan. “Some goals of mine are winning the MAC (Mississippi Athletic Conference) as well as being able to play in the state tournament,” he said.

In order to realize these goals, Townsend works just as hard off-season. This includes playing in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). “Playing AAU basketball has been beneficial because going [against] better competition helps prepare me for the school season,” Townsend said.

The Spartans currently have a 10-10 record. With Townsend’s help, they are looking to finish the final stretch of their season strong.