Female athlete of the week: Ilah Perez-Johnson

Maya McClain
Player of the week Ilah Perez makes an offensive play against the North Scott Lady Lancers.

Senior Ilah Perez-Johnson is a multi-sport athlete; she is currently showing her leadership and athletic abilities on PV’s girl’s basketball team. 

Perez-Johnson has had a passion for basketball since she was young. “I got into basketball around second grade,” she said. “After that, it was my favorite sport of all time. Anytime I had an ounce of free time growing up I just wanted to play.” Her love for the sport has made her a valuable asset to the team. 

Athletes have strengths and weaknesses. Perez-Johnson thinks her energetic approach to the support helps her teammates as well. “ I like to get people out of their comfort zone, especially the younger kids so they are able to become more confident taking a hard shot.” Team sports rely on a group to get the job done, and Perez-Johnson aids in making the collective group perform better.

Coach Jennifer Goetz is proud of this athlete. “Ilah is a competitor at heart,” she said. “She has a drive inside of her to get better every day and wants her team to win first and foremost. She works hard and tries to bring it out in others as well.” 

Perez-Johnson has been contributing to the team since she first arrived at the high school, but she is especially proud of last year’s achievements. “Over these past four years PV basketball has had many accomplishments,” she said. “My favorite one was last year going 20-0.” Unfortunately, the team didn’t finish how they wanted, but Perez-Johnson said she “couldn’t be more proud of the way we played those 20 games.”

Although this team is younger than last year’s, Perez-Johnson wants to make its quality year. She described the focus of this season as “rebuilding.” As one of the seniors, Perez-Johnson wants to help maximize the team’s potential.

“Getting the girls to be more comfortable with each other is a big goal for this season so we can be playing our best in February,” she said.

The season is still young, like many of the players. Perez-Johnson and the rest of the girl’s basketball team continue to work hard to make the team the best it can be. “This season has many small accomplishments,” said Perez-Johnson. “And hopefully more to come.”