Coronavirus cancels spring break

Senior Cecilia Zavala looks at flights for spring break.

With spring break just around the corner many Spartans are planning to go on an amazing vacation. However, with the Coronavirus outbreak many resorted to canceling their trips. 

The Coronavirus is a virus that causes illnesses ranging from the common cold to death in the more extreme cases. And this virus is spreading rapidly, hitting Italy only a couple of days ago. So this sudden scare has a lot of people wanting to stay home and not go on their spring break trips. 

There are many students making plans to go somewhere this spring break however, there is a lot of uncertainty going through the Pleasant Valley community. Travelers are scared of possibly catching this disease and some have canceled their spring break trips in the result of that fear. 

Junior Isabel Russmann is one of the students who cancelled their spring break trip because of this. “My family and I aren’t going to the Bahamas anymore because of the virus,” Russmann said, “we decided to stay in the U.S.” The Russmann family is now going to Florida for their spring break trip. 

There’s no way of knowing what parts of the world this virus could spread to or where it has already spread and how long it could last. In China, the SARS virus was expected to leave within a week or two. Eight months later it was still an issue. 

Many students are taking small safety precautions while traveling on planes as well. “I’m wearing a mask in the airport,” senior Morgan Ramirez said. If worried about anything while traveling, be sure to maintain a good distance when around people who are coughing or sneezing and to avoid touching eyes and mouth. 

One main concern students are worried about is that there is no cure for this virus. “The idea of traveling with this dangerous disease going around really scares me,” Russmann said.   

Health advisors have not found a reason to call off trips yet. Keep a close eye out for updates by health and government officials and decide then how far to risk it depending on comfort level.