The 5 best writing utensils to prove that the pen is mightier than the sword

Teachers continually remind students that taking notes is one of the best ways to retain information. Although notes are one important service provided by writing utensils, there is also nothing comparable to the smooth flow of an exquisitely crafted ballpoint pen, nor is there any joy greater than the bold lines created by an ergonomic mechanical pencil. Below, readers will find the five best writing utensils that prove nothing is better than the simple pleasure of pen to paper.

1. MUJI SMOOTH GEL INK BALLPOINT PEN KNOCK TYPE

The iconic frosty Muji exterior encases one of the simplest and smoothest pens a student can possess. Not only is the design simple, its aesthetic minimally invasive, but its functionality is its greatest merit. Muji offers the pen in a variety of colors, but black remains a smart option with its bold ink and unmistakable practicality. 

2.  Paper Mate Inkjoy Gel Pen

The Paper Mate Inkjoy Gel Pen offers one of the most flawless executions any pen could dream of. The pen is designed to avoid smearing, which provides the utmost convenience to its users, and the nature of its gel ink ensures a smooth delivery with each flourish of the pen. Not to mention the vast color selection, the Papermate Inkjoy Pen is a bold essential for any student looking for an excuse to take more notes.

3.  Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pen

Comparable to its alternative, the Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pen proposes a different experience for users. In contrast to the Inkjoy Gel Pen, the Flair Felt Tip inclines users to write with a steadier, more precise hand. This pen is ideal for taking careful notes — for underlining key words and labeling diagrams rather than jotting down ideas amidst a lecture. The Flair Felt Tip Pen comes in the greatest variety of colors out of all these pens, with multiple collections and shades of each color. 

4.  Paper Mate Clearpoint Mechanical Pencil

Arguably the best mechanical pencil on the market, the Clearpoint Mechanical Pencil boasts an ergonomic, gel-enhanced grip, along with a fresh design, bold lead, a quality eraser, and colors to choose from. Finding dropped Paper Mate Clearpoints in the hallway is one of the rarest joys a student can find in school.

5.  BIC Xtra-Sparkle Mechanical Pencil

The title of the most classic, simplest mechanical pencil belongs to BIC. The subtle glamour of the Xtra-Sparkle is enough to establish its superiority over the more classic alternative, BIC Xtra Smooth Mechanical Pencil. Both mechanical pencils offer the same quality. The lead is dark, the eraser — though far too easily used up — is effective, and the grip is easy. It is all a student needs when writing. It is versatile, bold, confident.