The Spelhaug takeover

Carli+%28left%29+and+Ellie+%28right%29+Spelhaug+pose+for+a+picture+in+their+Iowa+State+Softball+jerseys.+
Ellie Spelhaug
Carli (left) and Ellie (right) Spelhaug pose for a picture in their Iowa State Softball jerseys.

The Spelhaug sisters have been a well known pair for Pleasant Valley athletics. The two sisters had grown up playing sports together and dreamed of doing so forever. Their dream came true this fall when they started their Iowa State Softball journey together.

Last October when Carli Spelhaug committed to play D1 softball at Iowa State University there was a huge uproar for one of PV’s greatest athletes. Going to play college softball was going to be tough but without her sister by her side it made it even tougher. 

In early April, Ellie Spelhaug decided she would do the same and chase her dream of playing D1 softball and alongside her best friend. She transferred from Bradley University, where she had been playing basketball, Fall of 2019. 

The sisters have been training together since summer 2019 and are dominating Iowa State’s softball team. They have played a total of 19 games thus far.

Ellie, one of Iowa State’s pitchers and utility hitters has been on top of the game and her pitching dominated their game against number eight Michigan. “Of course I was overwhelmed with emotions after that win,” she states. “I don’t think I was able to relax until a few hours after the game was over.”  

Carli on the other hand is playing first base. She increases her hitting statistics every game and has hit two home runs thus far. “Hitting my first collegiate home run was a great feeling,” she says “ I was so happy my parents were there to see it and glad I was able to help my team out in a tough game.”

The Iowa State Softball Head Coach, Jamie Pinkerton, had been looking to complete the roster and was very pleased when Carli had chosen their school. “When they arrived at Iowa State I was very impressed with Carli’s athletic versatility and really thought she could help take our program to the next level,” he claims. “She did not disappoint us and is off to a very good start this year.”

In the Spring when E. Spelhaug had decided to transfer, Pinkerton was pleasantly surprised that he could have the chance of having both sisters on the team. “Wwe saw her pitch in the State Tournament, but knew she had signed to play basketball with Bradley,” he says. “Obviously, we were excited that we could work out her transfer here and she has been a great addition to our team, especially in the circle.” 

The sisters have already racked up their stats. E. Spelhaug’s pitching stats average 4 strikeouts per game and has only let 20 runs in this season. Her hitting statistics average .67 hits per game. C. Spelhaug has an average of .30 per game and has amazing fielding statistics playing first base. 

They are still over the moon about being able to play four more years of athletics together and PV athletics have been represented well by the Spelhaug sisters at Iowa State.