USWNT paves the way for the future of women’s sports

Addie Kerkoff
Sophomores Camryn Woods (left) and Addie Kerkoff (right) cheer on the United States women’s national soccer team at the Tournament of Nations last year.

The United States Women’s National (USWNT) has been fighting for equality since 1985 when the team was founded. They have consistently advocated for equal pay from the USSF, but this year another step towards equality was taken.

On March 8, 2019- International women’s day- 28 players from the USWNT filed a lawsuit for institutionalized gender discrimination. Since then, the women have been preparing for the trial which is to take place on May 5, 2020.  

Sophomore Addie Kerkoff has viewed these players as her role models since she was little and has looked forward to seeing the outcome of the luming trial. “I think that this trial will have a great impact on women’s future athletics and increase the numbers that continue their dream to play and widen the population in women’s sports,” she said.

In many cases, the cause for unequal pay in athletics is because of revenue. It is very common that the men’s sports attract more fans to their events, sell more tickets, and make more money. This is not the case for the USWNT. From 2016 through 2018, the women’s team generated $1 million more in revenue than the men’s team did. Therefore, revnenue should not be a cause for the women’s team recieving less pay.

Sophomore Camryn Woods believes that this change is long overdue and is confident the trial will come out in the women’s favor. “When paying athletes it comes down to many things including revenue and success. The women’s team has success and I believe that those two factors will go hand in hand,” she stated. 

Another factor that goes into this decison is success. The USWNT have won four FIFA World Championships and four Olympic gold medals. The men’s team has never won a FIFA World Championship or an Olympic gold medal. 

“The women’s team is growing in popularity and having many more successes compared to the men’s,” Woods continues, “Fans all around the country have begun to notice their successes and beacause of it more people are attending games or keeping up with scores.”

With more success and revenue than ever, it is no question that the women have earned their right to be treated equally. The results of this trial has the potential to start a movement for equal pay in women’s athletics throughout the world and hopefully improve the lives of women who have worked hard to become an inspiration to many. 

No matter the outcome of the situation, the 28 women who fought for their rights will be an inspiration to women all over the world. “They have been a great inspiration and role models to the younger soccer players, boys and girls. They’ve shown them that with hard work they can achieve their dreams,” exclaimed Kerkoff.