Women Vote More, Why?

Senior+Taylor+English%2C+%28Middle%29%2C+deciding+on+and+voting+for+her+chosen+candidate+in+the+upcoming+election.+
Christopher Cumberbatch
Senior Taylor English, (Middle), deciding on and voting for her chosen candidate in the upcoming election.

It is almost the 100th anniversary of women getting the right to vote in the United States, and it’s monumental for more than one reason. Women have increased local participation in politics and vote 5% higher than men on average. In every election since 1980, this has held true. This has made a difference of about 10 million votes each time America goes to the ballot box.

Senior Ali Francois thinks he knows the answer. “To be honest, I believe men don’t care as much about politics and elections. It’s not good or bad, it’s just the truth.” Others give different answers. Senior Bradley Hamilton said, “We should see more women in office as a result of this, and issues that women are concerned about will be more discussed in higher areas of politics.”

In the past year issues like the pay gap, gender equality, reproductive rights, and the ability to be in certain branches in the military are now widespread and talked about, however contentious they may be. “I think women, for the most part, think more about broad topics than men,” said Grace Welvaert, “which leads them to the ballot box more often.”

Tracy Lux concurs with this opinion, “Men are often very focused on their careers and their immediate tasks rather than take time and realize they need to vote.”

A part of this may be political apathy, meaning people gradually caring less about politics. This was especially shown in the 2016 election when about 100 million people or 46% of eligible voters did not participate. Although this was troubling in 2016, there has been a resurgence of women’s participation in voting.

There was a massive increase in voter participation in the 2018 Midterm Election.  When voter turnout hit a 50 year high for a midterm election. As well as seven women who broke barriers in their state by becoming the first congresswoman.

2020 will be the next cycle of the presidential election year and many more issues important to women  are at the forefront of the debates and discussion. “I am excited to vote in the next election,” Grace Welvaert says. “It can make a difference no matter how small people think it is.”