Hybrid learning may not be the best option for students and teachers

Jonathan Glaum
PVHS adopts individualized Chromebooks to ensure out-of-school learning for all students.

The Pleasant Valley Community School District has adopted a hybrid learning model for the first quarter of the 2020-2021 school year. So far, it has created feelings of frustration for both teachers and students, and the PV E-News’ agrees that some students are struggling with the new hybrid learning model.

Three weeks into the school year, a poll was conducted on Instagram @pvspartanshield asking what PV students thought about the integrated hybrid model in comparison to 100% in person–the results were shocking.

In one of its emails, Pleasant Valley E-News wrote, “we’ve learned some students are struggling with the expectations of online learning – whether that’s for a 100% online learner or a student on their at-home hybrid day.”

Those partaking in the hybrid system hold a similar perspective. According to the poll, over 50% of students said they would prefer to be 100% in person due to the organization issues that hybrid poses, and the constant miscommunication issues that arise daily for some students. These miscommunication issues could involve students not knowing where to turn in assignments, how to take tests at home, or what is expected of them on any given day.

Junior Alyse Zuiderveen, gave insight into her experience with the hybrid model: “I believe that while the hybrid is advantageous for some, some need in-person instruction to thrive and virtual meetings don’t always satisfy that need.”

These complaints are prevalent among the student body. This arises the question: What future approaches should PV take to ensure a safe, and productive learning environment?

Teachers are also struggling with the hybrid schedule. They feel their workload has become almost unmanageable-especially those with families. An anonymous teacher at Pleasant Valley High School shared how much extra work they have to do to keep up with the numerous classes they teach.

I teach 4 different courses, and only 1 of which has other teachers who teach it.  So, for my other 3 courses, I’m the only teacher who can do the work.  It is a lot more work than a normal year.  Most of the trouble is making sure to remember to put everything online each week so the online students have access to it.  I find that it is much more time consuming to grade things on the computer (that aren’t multiple choice) than on regular paper.  So, I am spending a lot of extra time sitting at a computer at school and at home to try and stay somewhat current with grading.  Another issue is that when (not if) technology fails, it can eat up a significant portion of time, and leave the people at home without resources or instruction

— Anonymous PVHS Teacher

This is not uncommon for teachers, as many teach multiple classes and with the hybrid model it could be too much for some teachers to handle. Due to the chaotic nature of the hybrid schedule, students, teachers and parents alike have begun to wonder if hybrid is the best, and most effective learning model through the COVID-19 pandemic.