Best Unconventional Thanksgiving Foods

Thanksgiving is the one holiday solely based on a meal. The traditional Thanksgiving feast consists of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and a few other conventional side dishes, but what are the best unconventional foods to serve this time of year?

1. Mac and Cheese

This dish is becoming more acceptable at Thanksgiving dinner throughout the US. It provides an alternative to the traditional mashed potatoes for some and is just an additional side for others. Either way this savory option will be a hit at any dinner table.

2. Ham

Ham is slowly becoming a more popular option for the Thanksgiving feast. This option replaces the turkey for many and provides a different taste for the main entree. This one really depends on the families preference, as turkey and ham both have their own unique qualities.

3. Tofu

As Veganism becomes more prominent in American society, people often look for a non-meat option to serve at the main dish. Tofu is a popular substitute and works great for those who don’t eat meat

4. Turkey-Cranberry Meatballs

Two very popular dishes for Thanksgiving are turkey and cranberry salad. For many Americans, turkey is too bland or too dry. Mixing these traditional dishes gives extra flavor to the turkey while also getting the best of both dishes.

5. Turducken

A chicken inside of a duck inside of a turkey, what isn’t there to love? This entree is a great option for those who enjoy the taste of these three birds. It puts a unique and fun twist on the traditional meal and creates a blend of flavor that many would enjoy.

6. Turkey Burgers

For the folks that find a traditional cooked turkey blend. This concept adds some fun to the dish. Put a few slices of turkey on a bun with cheese and stuffing for a unique and fun alternative.

7. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

This snack is very popular around Halloween time when families are carving pumpkins. This sweet snack is also great around Thanksgiving as it compliments the famous pumpkin pie. 

There are many good options for unconventional dishes at a Thanksgiving feast. These are a few options to make the most out of this wonderful time with family and friends.