DIY gifts for a Christmas crisis

Creating gifts for your friends on a low budget

Are you struggling to find or buy Christmas gifts for your friends? December brings about a joyful time for many students. Christmas is a time of giving, and a time of receiving. Although, students may find themselves stressed when their bank accounts do not reflect what they think their friends deserve.

There are a few things you should keep in mind while looking for Christmas presents– your friends should appreciate any present you gift, and you do not need to go above and beyond (especially in the sense of money) to give a good gift. What is a ‘good’ gift? Often, homemade, handcrafted presents hold a special value to the people who receive them. Here are some DIY Christmas gift ideas for your bestie this holiday season:

Personalized Mug:

The dollar store sells plain ceramic mugs for a great price, and there are many tutorials out on the internet with ways to personalize the mug for your friend. You can write a phrase or design on the outside in sharpie, or dip the mug in swirled/marbled nail polish. The only thing you may have to buy other than the mug is a mod podge clear, dishwasher-safe jar to set your mug.

Jewelry Display:

If you see your friend’s jewelry, such as their earrings, necklaces, bracelets, or rings scattered all over the place, make this simple jewelry stand. Using different sized plates, hot glue a candlestick holder (available at the dollar store) to the center of the plate. Continue the process with the different sized plates until you have a tiered stand. Now your friends have a somewhat organized dumping ground for all of their jewelry.

Vinyl Bowl:

While a lot of vinyls have made a comeback the past few years, there a lot of old records that have become of not much use to anyone. One way to ‘upcycle’ a vinyl record is to make it into a bowl. Just lay it over another bowl in the oven, and it will make a curvy edge still holding the shape of a bowl. There are many different methods on how to complete the bowl, so search around and find the right one for you.

String Art:

The end result of creating this piece of art appears to be an expensive decoration found in a high end store. There are only a few things needed for this, and they might even be lying around your home: a rectangular piece of wood, some nails, and string. Stain the wood, if not already stained, trace or create a design on the wood, outline it with nails, tie the string around one, and weave the string back and forth until you are satisfied. Not only is this gift easy, but your friend will love to have it hanging on his or her wall.

Bath Bomb:

Although you can make one of these with baking soda, essential oils, and citric acid, among other ingredients, you might as well splurge and buy one Lush Bath Bomb for your friend. In order to make the gift more exciting, add a pair of fuzzy socks or some sweets to have after their bath.

The importance of Christmas is to be together and celebrate the life we have all been given. Millenama Prasai, senior, says, “It’s nice to get your friends small gifts, but you don’t need to give one to show the value of your friendship.” Material items are nice to have, but not necessary to show your love towards the people close to you. If this list of items still stretched outside your price range, then find something simple to give as a gesture for your will to care.