Top Movies of 2020

dBreen via pixabay
2020 was a slow year for movies and not many great ones were released. However, there were a few that stood out among the rest.

Due to the pandemic, most of the movies that were meant to be released this year got pushed back to later dates or even indefinitely. With the vast majority of the big titles that were supposed to release this year out of the way, it was a very slow year for movies. Out of the select few that actually released there were some pretty entertaining movies.

Wonder Woman 1984

This film is a mess of plotholes, poor visual effects, and a story that has bizarre pacing, unlike almost any other film I’ve seen. With that being said, the acting in the movie is amazing. Pedro Pascal and Gal Gadot carry the film as Maxwell Lord and Wonder Woman respectively. More than once I found myself captivated by the intensity of Pedro’s portrayal of Mr. Lord and the heartwarming charm of Gadot’s Wonder Woman. There is even a neat little nod to the original Wonder Woman, Linda Carter, at the end of the film.

Soul

This movie has some stunning visuals and creative designs that place it with some of the greatest animated films. The colors and shapes used to create the world inside the movie are fun and interesting. The story is also very heartwarming and it touches on the importance of living life to the fullest even when things seem bleak.

Love and Monsters

While the story may not be the most compelling or the deepest the creative creatures and goofy writing make this movie a blast. For a little bit of context, the movie takes place in a dystopian future where an irradiated meteor shower lands on Earth and mutates all cold-blooded animals into horrific creatures. The whole time I watched it I found myself smiling at some of the silly jokes or enjoying the dozens of unique creatures that appear throughout the movie.  

Color out of Space

Based on the Lovecraft short story of the same name, this movie was no easy task to make. Most of Lovecraft’s horror stories rely on the idea that the antagonist is some incomprehensible force that slowly drives the protagonist to madness. Obviously, it is impossible to portray something that is incomprehensible to the human mind in any sort of live media. Despite this, the movie finds a way to make things still feel very unnerving and bizarre. On top of that Nicholas Cage is in the movie and he gets to unleash the full extent of his crazy acting. It really is a treat.    

Tenet

I am going to be entirely honest. This movie is extremely hard to wrap your mind around. The whole premise surrounds the idea that there are things that essentially move backward in time due to reverse entropy. Something like that anyway. The action sequences in the movie are mindbogglingly awesome and even if you can’t understand what exactly is going on Tenet is a very fun movie to experience.