Top five NFL Draft prospects

Nathan Lokenvitz

The 2021 NFL Draft kicked off on Thursday April 29, and once again this year’s draft class is full of potential stars that will make a name for themselves in the league. Headlined by some highly touted quarterbacks, this year’s class is sure to make an impact next season in the NFL. Between everything else going on you may have missed some of the news regarding the draft, but don’t stress because this listicle will cover the top 5 prospects in this year’s draft class.

1. Trevor Lawrence

Trevor Lawrence is regarded by nearly everyone as one of the best quarterbacks to ever enter the NFL. With his NFL-ready style of play and dynamic build of 6’6” and 220 pounds, there are virtually no weak spots in his game. He is projected to be selected as the number one overall pick in the draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

1. Penei Sewell

Penei Sewell is a dominant offensive tackle out of the University of Oregon. His powerful style of play led him to win the Outland Trophy, an award given to the best interior offensive linemen in the country, in the 2019 season. He is projected to be a top 5 selection, with some mock drafts having him go as early as number two overall. There has been talks of some teams even trading up to secure the rare-type tackle. 

1. Kyle Pitts

Kyle Pitts is a 6’6” athletic tight end from the University of Florida, and is expected to be a top pick in the draft. Pitts had an amazing 2020 season as he caught 43 passes for 770 yards and 12 touchdowns. In addition to his impressive stat line, he won the John Mackey award (top tight end in CFB) and was the first tight end to be nominated for the fred Biletnikoff award (top wide receiver in CFB). 

1. Zach Wilson

Zach Wilson led the BYU Cougars to an impressive 11-1 record during the 2020 season, and put together a pretty great resume while doing so. Wilson threw for an average of 307 yards per game, and tallied up an impressive 33 passing touchdowns along with  a 73.5% completion rate in the season. He is projected to go in the top five of this year’s draft.

1. Justin Fields

Justin Fields led the Ohio State Buckeyes to a national championship in 2020 where they lost to the Alabama Crimson Tide 52-24. Many people don’t believe the hype around this versatile quarterback, but some teams have faith that he can compete at the professional level. Fields threw for 2,100 yards, 22 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and rushed for another five touchdowns all in eight starts.