The flaws of college football: Heisman Award

One of the most energetic and inclusive atmospheres in college, is college football. For centuries, American football has influenced its fans significantly. Children, high schoolers, college students, and alumni all enjoy supporting their teams during the competitive fall season.

Since the 2016 football year is coming to a close, the awards are being announced. The most prestigious award given in college football, the Heisman Award, was given to Lamar Jackson, quarterback at The University of Louisville. His statistics, according to sports analysts, are some of the most impressive results his university has ever seen. “To be able to stand up here with all these other Heisman Trophy winners, I’m extremely proud to represent this class and the University of Louisville with their first Heisman Trophy,” states Jackson.

This award honors the most talented, hard-working, and diligent athletes. Jackson continues to impress his peers with his integrity and humble attitudes.

On the other hand, past Heisman winners display unethical and inappropriate actions. In 2012, Johnny Manziel, former quarterback for Texas A&M, was continuously in the spotlight for his excessive drinking and partying. His actions, which continued into his professional career, led people feeling disappointed with him being elected as a Heisman winner.

A year after Manziel’s football dynasty, Jameis Winston, former quarterback for Florida State, was awarded with the Heisman. What many people did not know during his successful career, was his rape case. The accusations made against him, once again, discouraged football fans from the Heisman. Should this award mean more than just the athletes success?

Nevertheless, the Heisman will always be an honor in which college football athletes will continue to praise. Jackson is now a legacy for the University of Louisville and the rest of college football.

“To be able to stand up here with all these other Heisman Trophy winners, I’m extremely proud to represent this class and the University of Louisville with their first Heisman Trophy,” Jackson emotionally concludes.