“Creating something out of nothing:” Spring Improv Night 2022

Kylie Brees
Sophomore Ryan Sondgeroth throws a deftly staged punch in his improv scene with sophomore Josh Nelson.

PVHS Improv Nights are a beloved district tradition. Twice annually, PV Drama’s five teams perform on their home turf for a night of comedy.

Improv is the art of spontaneous performance and storytelling. PVHS Improv Night is a thrilling two-act performance, fundraiser and competition, with the winner determined as a combination of audience votes and funds raised.  With just a few minutes to prepare, groups of three to four follow a game structure and prompt to present a developed sketch. 

PV alum and the school’s Academic Study Hall teacher Francis Dunbar has run the improv program for seven years. The extracurricular immerses students in the art of spontaneity and enables them to develop their skills over a potential course of four years. With three varsity teams, a junior varsity team and a freshmen team, students can explore their talents at various levels.

In 2020, PV Drama debuted the 9th Grade improv team, giving freshmen the opportunity to compete at Speech Competitions. This year’s roster features Sabrina Barati, Carly Berta, Asritha Gunukula, Kailee McCaw, Ella Perry, Sophia Pomykala, Imaan Shah, Elodie Stroup and Andrew Swinney. 

The junior varsity – or J.V. team – is the next level of PV’s incredible program. This year, the team is comprised of sophomores Josh Nelson, Ryan Sondgeroth and Cooper Swihart. Sondgeroth and Swihart both competed with 9th Grade last year, but Nelson was new to the improv scene as a J.V. member. 

Nelson shared, “The best part of J.V. is being able to perform with two of my closest friends. I’m able to perform without worrying about any competition– it’s a relatively low-stress environment.” He hopes to improve his character development and joke delivery over the next two years. 

Varsity team WACIT was founded by students passionate about exploring the art form. This year’s team consists of sophomore Kylie Brees, junior Charles Budan, sophomore Pratima Khatri and senior Ian Olderog. 

Brees loves being a part of the WACIT family. “You’re just being stupid with the greatest people, and it feels so good,” she said. To her, comedy can be an escape from reality. She invites everyone to Improv Night because “[t]here are so many things happening in the world [right now]. If you just want to laugh, we have so many teams that are insanely hilarious. Why wouldn’t you want to subject yourself to something that’s just all good feels?”

The next varsity team on the docket is Kakistocracy. Formerly known as “The Select Button,” this quartet team features sophomore Zack Guest, junior Arissa Khan, senior Ethan Kilcoin and junior Lexi Pelzer. 

Guest acted on the 9th Grade team last year and was quickly snatched up as a varsity member. Reflecting on his time with an upper level team, he described, “I’ve learned to be a very quick thinker, and now I [know] how to ‘just go with it.’” Over the next two years, Guest eagerly anticipates competing at speech competitions. “Both this year and last, my team got all division ones at State and Districts. I would really like to continue that streak,” he said. He also reminded everyone to vote Kak! 

Cue the applause: the final team – and multiple-time Improv Night winner– is Hatrick. This year the team is exclusively composed of juniors; Miranda Croll, Braeden Jackson and Caleb Swinney headline the 2021-22 lineup.

Croll is only the second female member in Hatrick’s history and has proudly made her mark. She detailed, “We have great chemistry. It’s a unique team because we have to work on balancing each other out. We play off of each other really well.” Improv pushes students to interact quickly, creatively and freely; it is important for actors to feel safe and comfortable around each other.

Fall Improv Night in October was a smashing success, bringing in over $500 in donations for Spartan Assembly’s Hunger Drive. March is Theatre in Our Schools Month, so Spring Improv Night will fundraise for the Thespian Relief Fund.

Dunbar has created a vividly accepting environment for students to try anything and everything. “To be able to understand the rules of the performance but use every creative idea that comes through your mind productively – especially in front of others– not only builds creativity but confidence,” he explained. His students leave the program capable, strong and empowered.

Spring Improv Night 2021-22 will be hosted on Thursday, March 31 at 7:00 p.m. in the PVHS theatre. Guest concluded, “These teams will never be the same after this year. This makes it your only shot to come and support your favorites creating something out of nothing for the last time.”