Top six things seniors will not miss about high school

PV+seniors+fight+to+stay+awake+during+study+hall+as+their+final+year+of+high+school+winds+down.+
Kavya Kalathur
PV seniors fight to stay awake during study hall as their final year of high school winds down.

As seniors prepare to start the next chapter of their lives, the transition from high school to college sparks a whirlwind of emotions. While most seniors will miss at least a few aspects of high school, listed below are parts students are undoubtedly ready to let go of. 

1. School lunches 

Most colleges offer a wide variety of choices at every meal time, and while the high school school cafeteria has a few adequate options, many days result in grabbing a sandwich or salad. Seniors anticipate larger cafeterias with a wider range of choices or being able to eat whatever they choose at whatever time they desire. 

2. Leaking ceilings 

The 2020-2021 school year was notoriously bad when it came to leaking ceilings. Trash cans were placed all over the school to catch dripping water, causing both a hazard in the hallway and an inconvenience to anyone walking by. While this school year has not been as problematic when it comes to water dripping through the ceiling, there are still sporadic trash cans placed by the custodial staff and missing ceiling tiles attesting to the unresolved problem. 

3. Heart rate monitors 

Contrary to what PE teachers claim, heart rate monitors are often glitchy and fail to accurately measure a student’s heart rate. The defective devices are more of a hassle than motivation and are infamous for the amount of complaints they summon. To make matters even worse, heart rate monitors determine the grade students receive in physical education, making the watches not just an inconvenience but a predicament. 

4. Closed bathrooms 

Closed bathrooms have scarcely been an issue in previous years, but during the 2021-2022 school year, students have struggled to find the constantly changing location of the open bathrooms. Kids are forced to spend substantial amounts of time wandering around the school just to find an open bathroom, and once found, the line is rarely short as students throughout the entire school are forced into just a few bathrooms. 

5. Passing Periods 

Five minutes may seem like plenty of time to get from one class to another, but with building expansions making the walk further, crowded hallways and kids who walk in packs, getting from point A to point B becomes much more of a challenge. 

6. Closed-campus lunch 

As the number of students continuously increases every year, the lunchrooms become more and more packed. A simple solution to this problem would be to allow students to leave the building during their lunch periods; however, PV students are strictly prohibited from doing so. The reasoning behind keeping a closed-campus lunch is understandable, but students look forward to having more space and more location choices in their futures. 

High school has cultivated many unforgettable memories for students, but with all the little inconveniences students face during their day, seniors are more than ready to start the next chapter of their lives. Although students will always find annoyances no matter where they are, many cannot wait to leave all the little nuisances of high school behind.