The bright future of cheerleading

The+PV+Cheer+youth+clinic+sparked+a+change+for+the+children+of+the+community%2C+preparing+and+guiding+them+for+their+future+of+high+school+athletics.+
The PV Cheer youth clinic sparked a change for the children of the community, preparing and guiding them for their future of high school athletics.

Nothing compares to the hopeful and excited look on children’s faces while exploring new sports. Through the PV Cheer Kids Clinic, children are becoming inspired by older athletes while simultaneously  preparing for their high school athletic years.

Recently, the clinic has had success. The cheer clinic date was Sept. 25, 2022, with over 130 kids in attendance. That’s the most PV Cheer has seen. PV students, ages five to 14 are provided the opportunity to set themselves up for success in athletics, already learning the fundamentals of cheerleading. 

The clinic doesn’t strictly cover stunting, jumps or dance. Children learn what being a PV cheerleader is all about. Children attending the clinic are taught the  cheerleading values of spirit and encouragement that are expected throughout Friday nights. 

Head PV Cheer coach Megan Ramirez shared her love for the annual clinic. “It is the perfect opportunity for young girls in our community to have role models to look up to. All the kids have the chance to see what their future will look like as a Spartan cheerleader. It renews their excitement each year!” she said. Members of the clinic were beyond excited to learn and explore the world of cheerleading, the big bows on their heads matching the size of their smiles.

Cheer clinics are important to promoting the longevity of cheer in high school athletics, learning all about becoming a true teammate. Although they are simple performances and events, cheerleaders are making a difference within the community, impacting prospective cheerleaders sitting in the bleachers. Other sports, such as baseball, football, and track follow suit by holding their own youth clinic, opening doors of opportunity for kids looking to find new interests. 

The Spartans’ football game against the Bettendorf Bulldogs on Friday, Sept. 30th was nothing short of exhilarating for a number of reasons. Parents of the children were all there to support their little ones, showing off the new cheers and stunts they learned on the field during the halftime show. The kids were accompanied by the high school PV cheerleaders, coaching and guiding them throughout their performance. 

Mother Sheila Engle-Sharphas noticed the positive impact the PV kids clinic had on her daughter. “The clinic was beneficial to my child as she learned what being part of a team is all about. My daughter came out of the clinic with a huge confidence boost, excited to show off everything the big girls taught her,” she stated. 

PV cheerleaders are setting their future athletes up for success, ensuring that the admired and respected view of the girls is instilled from a young age, being a a huge requirement as a member of girls sports teams. The joy and accomplishment felt through inspiring children is empowering, and investing the youth in sports early on is creating a positive outlet for children. Leaving the future of their athletics in good hands and knowing an impact has been made on the community.