The stress of #seniorsunday

Taken by Caroline Sieren, shared by Leah Mendelin
Senior Leah Mendelin shared this photo as part of the #seniorsunday trend. Mendelin enjoyed her senior photo experience, but also recognizes the pressure seniors may feel to have social-media worthy images.

Each Sunday during the first weeks of school, students’ Instagram feeds are flooded with images of posts tagged #seniorsunday, a weekly trend meant to give seniors a chance to share their senior photos. These photos are usually taken professionally, giving each senior a chance to capture the beginning of the end of a huge chapter of their lives. 

However, what these polished photos don’t show is the accompanying price tag or the stress. 

The senior photo process is filled with choices: choices about appearance, about convenience, about photographer style and about travel. All of these choices come with a cost aspect. 

Seniors are confronted with a barrage of questions: Should I buy a new outfit (or several) for the shoot? Should I have my hair and makeup done professionally? How far am I willing to drive? Do I have to pay to access photoshoot locations? 

Senior Leah Mendelin had an easy time planning most of her photos, but she hit a stuck point with her clothing. “Finding outfits that I found cute but were also timeless worried me, because I didn’t want to follow a trend that would look dated in a few years,” she said. “There were definitely times that I felt stressed trying to put together the ‘perfect look’, to seem stylish but also classic,” she continued. Mendelin’s struggles are common it’s not easy to select clothes that showcase one’s personality and style at this moment in time, but won’t look strange once the next fashion cycle comes along.

Once seniors have an idea of what they want in mind, they have to find a photographer: Which photographer’s style do I like, and what is their availability? Do I have to pay a non-refundable deposit just to book a session, and if so, how much is that? Which package do I want? How many photos do I get for that price?

An experience that is meant to be celebratory has turned into a competition to see who can take the past four years and shove them into one showstopping photoshoot.

With social media, parents and friends all expecting great photos, some students feel pressured to spend a great deal of money for the perfect shots. The cost of a senior photo session ranges from $100 to $1,000, depending on the photographer’s level of expertise, length of the session, extent of post-processing and more. Professional hair and/or makeup, clothes and shoes add to the overall cost.  

One popular senior portrait service in the Quad Cities charges just under $300 for a two to three hour session, but many clients choose to add additional time or services, raising the cost to over $500. Print products cost additional money as well. 

However, the problem isn’t the pricing of photography services. Photo sessions are the most recognizable service a photographer providesbut purchasing equipment, generating location and outfit ideas, scheduling (and rescheduling), paying studio rent, sifting through hundreds of photos and retouching blemishes all take time and money, which is reflected in the price photographers charge clients.

The issue is that trends like #seniorsunday create a pressure around senior photos that drives students into choosing the most encompassingand therefore expensiveoptions in hopes of gaining likes, comments and admiration. 

Mendelin is generally in favor of the #seniorsunday trend, even posting one of her own, but also recognizes the pressure it can create. “There is definitely a bit of pressure to post as a senior, and make sure your pictures are social media worthy. I don’t mind the trend, but I think that the pressure put on seniors to post ‘perfect pictures’ can take some of the fun out of it,” she said. 

Of course, there are students who enjoy the photoshoot process, want to capture this period of their lives and look forward to sharing on social media. Some underclassmen, inspired by their senior friends and siblings, look forward to senior photos for years. 

Sophomore Sophia Foad has been excited for her turn to take senior photos since she was a little girl. “I think that taking senior photos is an experience that should build your confidence and show the growth you’ve gone through since elementary school,” she expressed. 

Foad’s excitement and expectations are sentiments shared by many underclassmen and are reflective of the general excitement younger students have about graduating. Still, when senior photos are anticipated for years, the pressure to make the experience incredible only festers longer.

Senior photos have become more stressful and more expensive than they need to be. A well-intentioned trend has driven the pressure to produce unique photos to unhealthy levels. Senior photos should be about the seniornot about impressing friends, family and followers. 

$480
$1000