Illinois residents seek opportunities in Iowa

The new I-74 bridge is one of many bridges in the Quad Cities between Iowa and Illinois.

In the past five years, while counties in Illinois have shrunk, Scott County, Iowa, has experienced steady population growth. This noticeable migration reveals many incentives that have caused people to move around and across the Quad City Area (QCA). 

Iowa and Illinois have long differed in their political priorities and beliefs. Recently, this difference has been exemplified as COVID-19 and other major political events have further divided the political spectrum. The consequences of each state’s bureaucratic decisions have influenced many people to seek better economic and educational opportunities in Iowa.

Education has been a major incentive for many people to make the move. Ranking 3rd in Iowa, the Pleasant Valley School District has attracted many students from across the border. Some students who cannot move to Iowa to attend the schools commute to Iowa from Illinois to go to school. Senior Nirmal Alla lives in Illinois and makes the commute every day. “My parents and I wanted a place with more opportunities, academically and athletically, so we decided on PV,” he said. 

Nick Sacco, a math teacher at PV, also cited education as an incentive for his move from Illinois to Iowa. “I think generally education is better on this side of the river,” he said. “Education for my children is important so that is one reason why I am on this side of the river.”

The district has rapidly grown in recent years, placing strain on the schools’ capacities. The PV high school is expected to start expansion in 2024.

Besides education, affordable housing and living expenses have encouraged many to move. People living in Illinois face an effective total state and local tax rate of 15%, the highest rate in the nation. Property taxes in Illinois are evidently high as well.

Better housing options, lower taxes and better education opportunities have enabled rapid growth in the housing available in the QCA. Recently there have been myriads of new construction of apartments and condos in the city of Bettendorf, signaling this growth and demand.

As of now, there seems to be no sign that the migration and resulting growth (in Iowa) will slow.