PV Girls Swim Team dominate the MAC

Dawsyn Green

On Oct. 13, 2022, the PV girls swimming and diving team took home the Mississippi Athletic Conference (MAC) dual championship title for the first time since 2015. After beating the other five teams in the MAC, the final win against Davenport West on the 13th secured the Spartans’ top position.

After six years of repeated defeat, what has led to this sudden success? 

The girls swim team’s recent success can be attributed to numerous factors. Senior Leah Patton, co-captain of the team, acknowledged one vital aspect that has contributed to the strength of the entire team: the varsity swimmers. “Having strong varsity swimmers has played an important role in beating a lot of our competition because we have a lot of depth in our events, which is what helps us get the most points in meets,” she said. 

However, talent is only one factor that goes into building a successful, winning team. Since swimming is an individual sport, it often seems like building a good team environment is unnecessary. In reality, It’s even more important in an individual sport because a positive atmosphere is crucial in boosting team morale. 

After four years on the team, Patton has recognized the effects of team spirit on overall performance. “I feel like, from last season to now, the biggest improvement is our team atmosphere. Having good team morale and close relationships is really important, and when you have great leadership on the theme it makes everyone want to be better and work harder,” she observed. 

Assistant coach JJ Patton has noticed similar shifts from his perspective. “The work ethic this year is leaps and bounds ahead of the last few years. Practice and meets have a much more positive environment and everyone is lifting each other to new heights,” he said. 

The enthusiasm and supportive atmosphere also stemmed from early success in the season. Beating Bettendorf, the defending MAC champions, so early in the season provided the girls hope for a shot at earning the long awaited title. The momentum of being undefeated in dual meets has not worn off, and the team is still carrying the same energy as Regionals approaches soon. 

Looking towards the far future, the new progress shown by the girls will not dissipate in years to come. Coach Patton acknowledged that the loss of the seniors isn’t something to be frowned upon, but rather an opportunity for growth for the underclassmen. “The future is bright. There is a lot of young talent and everyone is buying into the work ethic and stepping up for the team,” he concluded. 

There is a lot of promise for the team in the years to come with a freshman class full of talent. With the overall shift in team dynamic, there’s new hope for the PV girls swimming and diving team.

The Spartans’ will be competing next in a dual meet against Moline on Oct. 21.