Mariah Carey: the queen of christmas

Emma Vaaler
Mariah Carey has endless Christmas music on Apple Music and countless other streaming platforms.

Mariah Carey is a music icon around the world, and for many, a Christmas icon too. 

Carey’s song, “All I Want For Christmas,” has been one of the most played holiday songs since its release in 1994. Countless artists have released covers to the song, and Carey herself has rerecorded the song many times over the years.

Carey was invited to perform her hit song at this year’s Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade. Viewers were shocked when they later found that Carey lip-synced and used a teleprompter to aid her performance. It was revealed that she sang a shortened version, but confusion among fans remained as to why she was unable to perform her hit song without the telepromter. People also noticed at the parade and other performances the singer’s voice sounding off as well as her chronic lip syncing

Even with controversy surrounding Carey’s  ability to perform live, people see  her as an epitome  of Christmas spirit and the holiday season. This year, Carey posted a TikTok video with her hit song to get people excited for the season. 

Recently, Carey announced she would publically offer a holiday rental stay in her penthouse. This experience  will entail a multi-night stay in her winter wonderland apartment. The experience also includes shopping, cocktail hours and holiday-themed events such as seeing the Rockettes. 

This year, Carey lost her 2021 trademark attempt on the ‘Queen of Christmas’ title to officially make herself the seasonal icon. This trademark would be used by her company for different holiday products ranging from fragrances, clothing and pet accessories. This would also further link the name Carey with Christmas.

Several other holiday artists, including Darlene Love and Elizabeth Chan, expressed their beliefs regarding why the  trademark would not be appropriate since Carey is not the only holiday artist. NPR journalist Rachel Treisman reported on the affair, “Chan officially filed a motion in opposition to Carey’s request earlier this year, on the basis that she herself had repeatedly been dubbed the ‘Queen of Christmas’ and already used the brand ‘Princess of Christmas’ in connection with her young daughter.”

Many others see Carey as a significant Christmas idol and her constant actions to create a brand surrounding Christmas are a reason to name her the ‘Queen of Christmas’. 

Carey’s explained why the holidays are such a big part of her life in an interview, “After I kind of emerged from my first relationship-slash-marriage [to Tommy Mottola] I created the Christmases that I wanted to have,” Carey explained. Carey has strived to help others create a magical holiday season the way she always desired earlier throughout her life. 

PV senior Halle Vice thinks singers are inextricably linked to the christmas season, “I think Mariah Carey makes people think about Christmas and is a good icon but I think there are so many other people in the industry that have a bigger image in the holidays,” Vice shares similar opinions to Chan as well as many people all over social media. 

The factor of there being so many other christmas icons and Carey being noted as not putting much effort into her trademark attempt has sparked people across platforms to believe the trademark is not original.

Whether or not she has a trademark, performs perfectly or offers a holiday getaway, Carey is known very well for her image around Christmas.