Top 9 Underrated Holiday Activities

Lydia Sommer
A beautiful walk near the Mississippi River in December.

With the holidays fast approaching, make sure to celebrate in some of the most underrated ways! This list provides a few great activities to participate in while the months get colder.

Sledding

A classic way to celebrate the holidays, sledding is amusing, thrilling and exciting. While many view this activity as childish, it is an enjoyable experience for all ages, if capable. It can bring both families and friends together. Grab a sled and a few friends, and bundle up for the chilly weather. Find the nearest hill in your town or neighborhood, and have fun as you slide down!

Secret Santa Cookie Swap

Get together with your friends, and have a secret Santa cookie swap! Many people do secret Santa gifts, but a cookie swap is unique, inclusive, and allows you to test your talents. Each person bakes their cookies at home, adorned with festive decorations of frosting and sprinkles. Then, just like gifts, swap them with your secret Santa. So, you can bond with your friends over who’s the most talented or who baked the silliest creation. It’s a festive, fun and tasty activity

Night Walk to Admire Holiday Lights

As the crisp, cool air whips your face, walk through the glowing neighborhoods in your city. With your family or a friend, applaud the beautiful Christmas lights strung throughout town. Many see this activity as boring and pointless. However, it allows you to spend valuable time with those you love and appreciate the festive spirit of your city

Knit Your Stockings

Many buy stockings from a shop because knitting your stockings poses a difficult challenge. However, with the correct tools and instructor, knitting stockings is a great way to add a personalized touch to your home decorations. Or, it can serve as a gift for a loved one. Grab the best color, whether classic or crazy and knit in big or small loops. You stitch in names, images, or anything that you like!

Awkward Family Christmas Photos

Everyone has seen those family pictures from the 80s or 90s and their awkwardness. But, have you ever taken these portraits? With the holidays fast approaching, many families take Christmas pictures in the hopes to reach perfection. One way to incorporate a memory card is an awkward family photo! Dress in an ugly sweater, and make your way down to your nearest photo company. Pose in ways that show the discomfort and awkwardness of your family, emphasizing gaps between people, silly glasses, and lopsided smiles

Snowball Tournament

Another activity that some deem as childish, playing in the snow is a great physical activity and fun. More specifically, having a snowball fight is lively. Form a snowball tournament with friends, and create your bases, safe places and snow forts. This tournament may turn threatening though, so be careful as hard ice balls whiz toward your face. And if you’re lucky enough, soak up the feeling of victory at the end.

Send Holiday Cards to Soldiers Overseas

Families cozy up over the holidays, preparing themselves to be together and visit loved ones. However, soldiers overseas have no such luxury. Take a few minutes out of your day to send a personalized note or letter to a soldier. The process is simple; you write out your card, address the soldier, and include respect and gratitude toward them. While we see our families and relax on the holidays, these soldiers lay out our lives for us, so that we have this luxury

Make Your Own Ornaments 

Like many have done in elementary school, making your ornament out of household items is a captivating way to celebrate the holidays, if you have a tree up in your home. First, buy a clear ornament that you can open. Then, decorate it in any way that your heart desires! You can fill it with sentimental small objects, or paint the exterior. Another type of ornament you can create is with salt dough. To make this unique ornament, you need salt, flour, and water. Follow the directions, and then decorate as you wish

Candy Cane Hunt

We are all aware of the notorious egg hunt during Easter, however, have you heard of a candy cane hunt? Similar to the Easter egg hunt, hide candy canes throughout your home or yard, and let the young kids out to search for them! In the end, the person with the most amount of canes wins.